Health Benefits of Onions
Here are some of the common health benefits of onions.
- Better Oral Health — This may seem odd since onions can cause bad breath, but chewing raw onion is known to improve the strength of the teeth and fight off bacteria which can cause tooth decay. Chewing some raw onion for 2 or 3 minutes could kill most germs in the mouth.
- Prevents Colon Cancer — A particular plant-derived flavonoid in onions, called quercetin, boosts the immune system while preventing the development of tumors.
- Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Microbial Ingredients — Sulphides and thiosulfinates help to prevent illnesses such as E. coli, bacillus subtilis and salmonella.
- Detoxing – Methionine and cystine – are great for removing heavy metals like mercury, lead, and cadmium from the body. Additionally, vitamin C, which is also in onions, aids in the detoxing process.
- Cardiovascular Improvement — Onions help to prevent the formation of blood clots, allowing blood to circulate smoothly. Without the clogs and clots in arteries, heart attack and heart disease risks drop. Further, sulfur compounds in onion can improve red blood cells’ cell membrane function and lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Osteoporosis – In a 2005 study, researchers found that a compound in onions, GPCS, was able to decrease bone loss in rats, helping to prevent osteoporosis.
- Lower Blood Sugar, Helps with Diabetes — Onions contain a compound called allyl propyl disulphide (APDS), which harnesses blood sugar-lowering effects. One study found that “The administration of allyl propyl disulphide (APDS), a volatile substance contained in onion…caused a significant fall in the blood glucose levels and a significant rise in the serum insulin levels…” Onions are also high in chromium, a mineral which helps cells respond to glucose.
- Sinus Relief — For a clogged nose and sinusitis problems, onions can help to loosen mucous, clearing the nasal passages and making breathing easier.
- Bee Bites and Stings – Further adding to the health benefits of onions, the vegetable could even be used for bee bites and bee stings. Try applying chopped onion or onion juice to the area for immediate pain relief.
Posts You May Be Interested In
A man was suffering from a stomach ache, so he told his wife who suggested he try the tablets the doctor had given her for a similar pain.After taking his wife's tablets for a week, the pain disappeared but he developed two rather tender lumps, one behind each ear.He went to his doctor, showed him the lumps, and explained what had happened.Whereby the Doctor called him all the fools under the...
Hi all. Yesterday I went into the kitchen for some tea, and my husband thought I was sneaking wine. Friday night I turned down the glass of wine my husband had ordered for me, and I left some of you confused about whether or not I drank it.what I want to ask, why do I feel the need to defend or prove myself? I HAVE snuck wine in the kitchen before. Anyway, today is Day 16 and I am pretty...