Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Sugar

For me, it's clearly a matter of too much sugar consumption and not always just junk food sugar, sometimes too much of a real food, such as potatoes, does me in - as I just realized.  I've gone months without any desire, but I made a big batch of potatoes recently and I have had a few too many sandwiches with the bread lately.  Too much bread will do it, but those sugar coated cookies you get from Walmart in a big plastic container, with frosting colors of whatever holiday is coming up - it's like kryptonite - will do it to me within hours - and I won't be able to stop until I've finished the job (bald lids).  I've been on and off low-carbing for years.  About two  years ago I noticed a link between snacking on the cookies and snacks people would leave at work and itchy eyelids, prompting me to "do something about that."  Back when I used to pull regularly, I'd spend months at a time with fake lashes glued to my lids, I consumed a TON of sugar.  Never made the connection.  I thought maybe I'd outgrown the urge.  Nope.   Just add sugar. I always resented the implications that this was an impulse control disorder.  I'm sorry but if your eyelids are itching, it's very hard to not rub them or do something.  There is no outside stressor that independently makes me pluck.  It's always when I've been exposed to too much sugar.  Then I get picking and the picking itself causes more inflammation and irritation to the area, compounding the urges.  I've been treated with many antidepressants over the years, none of it helped.  I firmly believe that it's because I continued to consumer sugar through it all.  Now I take no antidepressants and follow a mostly ketogenic diet.  It's ONLY when I stray from this too much I run into a problem. 

Replies

getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

Antidepressants are crap. Antipsychotics have helped my skin picking urges 100 percent. Completely eliminated the urge to pick while I was on them. ( I took Seroquel).
I also read studies that point to sugar consumption being a stressor in impulse disorders, so you are on the right track here.
I have to listen to your advice and watch what I eat. Thanks for posting this observation. Very insightful!
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • art4life19

I'm new here Issues with disassociation

Hi I'm Art I'm new here but I have had PTSD for several years. I have PTSD from a combination of several different traumatic events that have taken place in my life not just one event. I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child, a rape survivor, a car accident survivor, the survivor of an armed robbery and the survivor of a natural disaster. I get nightmares and flashbacks from the different...
  • mellzb

New to group and in need of advice

It has been more than a decade that I have been picking at my roots for follicles with a tremendous intensity. I am 18 yo and it is my biggest insecurity. I know that I should stop, but it feels so good. Stress definitely does not help. I lose so many hair and it is easily seen. It feels like an obsession. It feels like my fingers belong through my hair. The longest time that I did not touch my...