Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

Hair pulling and skin picking/ dissociation???

Im wondering if these issues that we experience are linked to dissociative disorders. I know that when I skin pick I tend to dissociate to some point, and maybe this is why im drawn to such a habit. It upholds the dissociative feeling. Of feeling zoned out and not caring about anything else. What are your thoughts on such a theory?

Replies

maggamoo
maggamoo

hi backtoserenity! I think that's exactly the issue that many people have with this. I always zone out and then i'll look down and realize everything that I've done and it's too late. I have no awareness sometimes that i'm doing it. i struggle a lot while i'm driving. by the time I get home and park, i'll look down at my lap and think "how did this just happen?" I feel like I just need to find a way to become aware of what i'm doing.

I just looked up "zoning out" and "trich" in the same google search and this is something that popped up from a book called Trichotillomania: Epidemiology and Clinical Characteristics...

"...Another phenomenon associated with trichotillomania, in which may affect may play a significant role, occurs in patients who report a dissociative-like state associated with hair-pulling binges. Some trichotillomania patients describe a "tunnel vision" or "zoning out" experience during some episodes in which they're lost in their pulling."
getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

Dissociation is a trauma response. It's a coping mechanism. So does that mean most sufferers of skin picking and hair pulling have a history of trauma? Speaking for myself, my childhood was riddled with emotional abuse along with an unstable and unhappy household environment. I can personally see my behavior being connected to trauma.
Would like to hear from others and their experiences.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • art4life19

I'm new here Issues with disassociation

Hi I'm Art I'm new here but I have had PTSD for several years. I have PTSD from a combination of several different traumatic events that have taken place in my life not just one event. I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child, a rape survivor, a car accident survivor, the survivor of an armed robbery and the survivor of a natural disaster. I get nightmares and flashbacks from the different...
  • mellzb

New to group and in need of advice

It has been more than a decade that I have been picking at my roots for follicles with a tremendous intensity. I am 18 yo and it is my biggest insecurity. I know that I should stop, but it feels so good. Stress definitely does not help. I lose so many hair and it is easily seen. It feels like an obsession. It feels like my fingers belong through my hair. The longest time that I did not touch my...