Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

Getting help

I can't self-diagnose myself with trich but I don't see what else my pulling out my hair would be? I'm so overwhelmed by my hair loss and its making me loose self confidence. My mom knows about it, but has done nothing after my constant asking. I don't know how to get help and I feel like it going to get worse. I don't know how it will effect me in the future. At the moment it's not doing me any good. 

Replies

catullus
catullus

First of all, I'd say don't worry about getting a 'real' diagnosis. You pull your hair out, you can't stop, and it's affecting your life. It's pretty clear that you've got an issue that needs attention. Just because you've yet to get a real diagnosis doesn't change the fact that you have trich. That being said, I think you should still see a doctor or therapist about it because I'm sure they can provide better coping strategies for you.

Second of all, I know your struggle, and I know how hard and discouraging it can be. Do you have any other similar issues that your trich may have stemmed from? For example, I used to self harm really bad. I don't anymore, but hair pulling / picking at skin is another form of self mutilation. It might reflect low self esteem. Or perhaps it's more of an anxious habit? I often do it when I get really stressed out. I'm sure with some self reflection and introspect you might be able to find the root of it.
There are plenty of coping mechanisms that you can try to reduce your hair pulling. For example, try keeping your hair up in a ponytail all the time, or wear a hat more often. What I found helped me was to find a close friend who I could trust with this secret. And I would try to grow that patches of hair out and send her pictures of my progress. Just having someone on your side who can witness your progress can sometimes be enough to encourage / motivate you to improve.

I wish there was more I could say to help. Just know that you are so not alone in this, and you CAN get better <3
empty_calories
empty_calories

This website is so supportive!! Thank you so much! Really everything that you said was very helpful and I will try and seek help. I'm glad people like you exist!! ❤❤