Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Anyone been able to beat an impulsive habit?

Lately I have finally been able to stop biting my nails. I noticed over a period of a few years that my desire to bite at my nails and cuticles has slowly diminished. I do not know what exactly prompted this change. I have tried for a very long time to keep my nails colored in order to eliminate the impulse. It might have finally helped to kick the habit, although I am not completely sure. I have also visited a dentist for an annual checkup and realized that the nail biting habit was slightly chipping away at my front tooth. This was alarming and seemed to scare me into stopping. I am surprised that after 23 years I am able to finally not have the desire to bite my nails.

It would be amazing if my impulsive skin picking habit could go away also. So far it's not budging. Getting on a sugar free diet seems to be the next step to trying to stop the urges. I have been on such a diet last year for about three months and I did pick much less, although I also exercised obsessively during that time and took N-Acetol cysteine each day. I wonder if a sugar free diet by itself can lower the urges. I'm back to taking the supplement, and will abstain from consuming sugar. Will follow up with my overall results in a later post.

I would be interested to hear your personal experiences! Has anyone had luck in beating their impulse control disorder?