Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

Alcohol

Does alcohol decrease the desire to pull? It is a depressant so it would make some sense if it does help to relieve the urges. I heard that coffee can increase the urges to self harm since it is a stimulant. Other stimulants such as cocaine and meth also create an urge to self pick because these substances excite the nervous system.

And from my own personal experience witch cannabis, it minimized my desire to self harm by about 50%. 

The only fully effective treatment to eliminate the habit for me has been taking antipsychotics. 

The overall theory with professionals is that body focused repetative behaviors are meant to increase the production of endorphins. That is why these behaviors are so addictive.