Here's everything that's been happening in the world of Pop Culture this past week... in case you missed it! Feel free to comment on any of the stories and info shared here or add any news bits that you caught going on that may have been missed...
GENERAL POP CULTURE NEWS:
- American tennis player SERENA WILLIAMS defeated German tennis player ANGELIQUE KERBER to win the women’s singles title at Wimbledon. It was Williams’ 22nd career Grand Slam tournament win, tying her with STEFFI GRAF for the second most all time for a female professional tennis player. Williams and her sister VENUS WILLIAMS also won the women’s doubles title at Wimbledon later on the same day. On the men’s side, hometown favorite, British tennis player ANDY MURRAY defeated Canadian tennis player MILOS RAONIC to win his second Wimbledon title and third Grand Slam overall.
- THERESA MAY replaced DAVID CAMERON as Prime Minister of Great Britain after her last remaining rival for the position pulled out of the running. May is the second woman to be named Prime Minister of the country.
- Singer TAYLOR SWIFT topped the list of Forbes’ 100 Top-Earning Celebrities of 2016, besting the likes of rival singer KATY PERRY and DJ/ex-boyfriend CALVIN HARRIS.
- Miami Marlins outfielder GIANCARLO STANTON won the Home Run Derby with a record-setting performance hitting a record total of 61 home runs in the contest and beating White Sox third baseman TODD FRAZIER, last year’s derby winner, for this year’s title. The American League defeated the National League 4-2 at the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, giving the American League home field advantage in this fall’s World Series for the fourth consecutive year.
- A week after the launch of the Pokemon Go app, several users have reported various injuries, including 2 men who tumbled off a seaside bluff in San Diego while playing the game, several public locations including Arlington National Cemetery and the Holocaust Museum have issued statements requesting people not play the game in those locations out of respect, and at least one user’s home was robbed while the person was out playing the game because the robber was able to track the person’s phone GPS (which is also used by the game) to know they were not at home.
- TOP 5 LAST WEEKEND AT THE BOX OFFICE (US)-
1. “The Secret Life of Pets” – $104.4M
2. “The Legend of Tarzan” - $21.0M 3. “Finding Dory” - $20.8M
4. “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” - $16.6M
5. “The Purge: Election Year” - $12.4M
- FILMS OPENING THIS WEEKEND (US Releases) -
* Sci-fi/Action/Comedy “Ghostbusters” starring MELISSA MCCARTHY and KRISTEN WIIG
* Biography/Crime/Drama “The Infiltrator” starring BRYAN CRANSTON and JOHN LEGUIZAMO
MOVIE CASTING UPDATE:
- Ballet dancer MISTY COPELAND has joined the cast of Disney’s live action “The Nutcracker”.
- Emmy nominations were announced on Thursday – with HBO drama series “Game of Thrones” nabbing 23 noms, followed closely behind by FX limited series “The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story” which earned 22. The awards telecast will air on ABC on September 18th. For a complete list of nominees, check out the following link: http://www.imdb.com/emmys/nominations/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2559044382&pf_rd_r=1CWZ35F4M74HN22BN2ZD&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_emy_nom_sn_lk4
- NBC announced they will air the Rio Olympics opening ceremony on a one-hour delay.
- Fox is now live-streaming its primetime schedule nationwide in the US via Fox.com and the FOX NOW App.
- CHRIS HARRISON is set to return as host of the 96th Annual Miss America Competition. It will be his 8th time hosting the competition. ESPN’s SAGE STEELE will join Harrison as his co-host.
- Former NYSNC singer LANCE BASS will host a new reality dating series on LOGO this fall called “Finding Prince Charming”. The series, being dubbed a gay version of “The Bachelor”, will feature 13 suitors living in the same house as they “compete to win the heart of a gay heartthrob” while facing weekly eliminations.
- Netflix has given a series order to sitcom uber producer CHUCK LORRE’s latest creation – a comedy called “Disjointed” set to star actress KATHY BATES as a lifelong marijuana-legalization advocate who realizes her dream of running a pot dispensary in Los Angeles.
- ABC has relaunched their streaming app featuring full seasons of classic shows from the network.
- WHAT’S ON TAP (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS FOR TIME AND STATION NUMBER) –
* The Republican National Convention (multiple channels and times)
TV CASTING UPDATE:
- Actor JOHN BARROWMAN has been upped to series regular across all four CW network DC comic superhero series for next year. Barrowman has played Malcolm Merlyn aka the Dark Archer on “Arrow” since the show’s first season and has made one crossover episode appearance on spinoff series “The Flash” last year. Barrowman will now also appear on episodes of “Legends Of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl” as well as “Arrow” and “The Flash”, though it is unclear how often he will be seen on any given show or whether he will solely be seen as Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer given the DC universe’s penchant for multiple universes and time travel.
- CBS drama series “NCIS” is adding actress JENNIFER ESPOSITO to the cast as a series regular in the show’s 14th season. Esposito will play NCIS Special Agent Alexandra Quinn. The series has also promoted actor DUANE HENRY, who plays MI6 Officer Clayton Reeves, to a series regular.
- FX anthology series “Fargo” announced actress CARRIE COON will be the series’ female lead for season 3. Actor EWAN MCGREGOR was previously announced as the male lead for the third season.
- “Dancing with the Stars” head judge LEN GOODMAN will reportedly leave sister series “Strictly Come Dancing” (the original UK version of the series where Goodman is also the head judge) after the upcoming fall cycle.
- Former “Daily Show” host JON STEWART will appear on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” throughout next week; the series previously announced it will air live episodes every night during the Republican National Convention, which takes place in Cleveland next week.
- After scrapping plans for a SPICE GIRLS reunion tour due in part to members VICTORIA BECKHAM and MEL C refusing to take part, remaining members GERY HORNER, EMMA BUNTON, and MEL B have decided to come together again as a trio with a brand new name. The singers have dubbed their new group GEM (after their first initials) and are planning at least one live performance next year likely with options to do more together if the newly reformulated group goes down well with the public.
- DJ/songwriter/music producer CALVIN HARRIS is calling out his ex-girlfriend, singer/songwriter TAYLOR SWIFT after her representatives released a statement that she co-wrote “This Is What You Came For”, Harris’ current single featuring singer RIHANNA, under the pseudonym Nils Sjoberg. Harris did confirm the statement via Twitter, adding that “she sings on a little bit of it too. Amazing lyric writer and she smashed it as usual” but also stressed that he “wrote the music, produced the song, arranged it, and cut the vocals though. And initially she wanted it kept secret, hence the pseudonym.” He went on to say that it was hurtful to him that she and her team “would go so far out of their way to try and make ME look bad at this stage though” and continued by suggesting if she’s as happy in her new relationship as she wants the media to believe then she should focus on that and all the other great things in her life than trying to tear him down for something to do and cited her feud with fellow pop star KATY PERRY.
- MUSIC CHARTS – #1 SINGLES AND ALBUMS AROUND THE WORLD -
Australia: Song – “One Dance” by DRAKE ft. WIZKID & KYLA; Album – “The Getaway” by RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
Canada: Song – “Cheap Thrills” by SIA ft. SEAN PAUL; Album – “Views” by DRAKE
Germany: Song – “This Girl” by KUNGS vs COOKIN’ ON 3 BURNERS; Album – “Quid Pro Quo” by IN EXTREMO
Ireland: Song – “One Dance” by DRAKE ft. WIZKID & KYLA; Album – “Lemonade” by BEYONCE
US: Song – “One Dance” by DRAKE ft. WIZKID & KYLA; Album – “Views” by DRAKE
UK: Song – “One Dance” by DRAKE ft. WIZKID & KYLA; Album – “California” by BLINK-182