Here's everything that's been happening in the world of Pop Culture this past week... in case you missed it! Feel free to comment on any of the stories and info shared here, add any news bits that you caught going on that may have been missed, or at least show us some love if you read the post but have nothing to comment on by clicking on that little heart icon at the bottom of the post...
GENERAL POP CULTURE NEWS:
- WASABI, a 3 year-old Pekingese from Pennsylvania, was crowned Best In Show at the 145th Westminster Dog Show. Wasabi won first place in the Toy category earlier in the weekend at the event, which was moved from its usual home at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan to the grounds of the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, New York in order to allow the event to be held outdoors and allow more space among those participating. No spectators were allowed this year due to the pandemic. Reserve Best in Show honor went to BOURBON the Whippet.
- The Associated Press announced it will no longer name suspects in stories about minor crimes.
- Actor MICHAEL B. JORDAN, director FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA, deejay/music producer DJ KHALED, and hip hop/pop act BLACK EYED PEAS are among the entertainers who will receive stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2022. Actors MACAULAY CULKIN, SALMA HAYEK, HOLLY ROBINSON PEETE, JASON MOMOA, TRACEE ELLIS ROSS, JEAN SMART, KENAN THOMPSON, and MING-NA WEN, actor/writer/producer RICKY GERVAIS, tv series producer GREG BERLANTI, music artists AVRIL LAVIGNE, GEORGE CLINTON JR., and MARTHA REEVES, former NFL player turned tv host MICHAEL STRAHAN, stage legend PATTI LUPONE, late actress CARRIE FISHER, and late rapper NIPSEY HUSSLE are also among the many notable names in the Walk of Fame’s Class of 2022.
- NAMES, HASHTAGS, MEMES, AND TRENDS FROM THIS PAST WEEK -
CHRISSY TEIGEN bullying fallout
- THIS WEEK IN SPORTS -
- WTA: Unseeded tennis player BARBORA KREJCIKOVA of Czech Republic bested Russian 31st-seed ANASTASIA PAVLYUCHENKOVA in three sets to win the French Open Women’s title. It is her first solo Grand Slam win of her career and only the fifth major tournament she has played as a singles player. Krejcikova completed a rare title sweep less than 24 hours later when she won the French Open Women’s Doubles title alongside her Czech teammate KATERINA SINIAKOVA, making her the first woman to do win solo and doubles titles at the French Open since MARY PIERCE did so in 2000. Only seven women have ever completed the title sweep at the French Open.
- Soccer: The Euro 2021 match between Denmark and Finland was temporarily suspended after 29 year-old Danish player CHRISTIAN ERIKSEN collapsed on the field and required CPR to be administered on the pitch. Doctors have since confirmed to the press that he went into cardiac arrest in the middle of the game but was able to be revived and is expected to recover. The game was completed later that night, though Eriksen’s manager expressed that in hindsight it probably should’ve been resumed at a later time.
- ATP: Serbian tennis star NOVAK DJOKOVIC defeated Greek tennis player STEFANOS TSITSIPAS in five sets to win the French Open Men’s title. Top-seeded Djokovic was down two sets to the fifth-seeded Tsitsipas before rallying to win the 19th Grand Slam title of his career.
- Wimbledon: Tennis players NAOMI OSAKA and RAFAEL NADAL both withdrew from Wimbledon just as tickets were going on sale to attend the British Grand Slam tennis event, which begins on June 28th.
- POLITICS-R-US -
- US/UK/G7: US President JOE BIDEN and First Lady JILL BIDEN made their first overseas visit since Biden’s inauguration. Among the events of the week, the President had his first in-person meeting with UK Prime Minister BORIS JOHNSON while the First Lady visited an elementary school along with CATHERINE, Duchess of Cambridge, and both attended an outdoor event with Queen ELIZABETH II, ahead of President Biden and Prime Minister Johnson joining other world leaders for the annual G7 summit in Cornwall.
- US: New reports revealed that the Justice Department under former President DONALD TRUMP subpoenaed phone and email records on at least two Democratic members of Congress as well as the phone records of their staffers and at least one minor family member allegedly amid their investigation into information leaks from the White House. At the time the records were sought the Justice Department also had a gag order put in place by a judge to prevent the individuals from learning their records were subpoenaed; Apple and Microsoft have since informed individuals that their records had been sought since the gag order has since been lifted. Both JEFF SESSIONS and WILLIAM BARR, who both served as Attorney General under Trump, claim to have no knowledge of the subpoenas though it seems highly unlikely that anyone working under them at the Justice Department would’ve had the authority to obtain the subpoenas without their consent.
- Israel: BENJAMIN NETANYAHU has been ousted as Prime Minister after 12 consecutive years following the creation of a new coalition government. Right wing leader NEFTALI BENNETT has been sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Israel.
- US: Vice President KAMALA HARRIS and Second Gentleman DOUG EMHOFF attended a Pride parade, making her the first sitting vice president to attend such an event in US history.
- UK: Prime Minister BORIS JOHNSON announced that Britain will extend their Covid restrictions for another month. The country had been set to roll back their pandemic-related restrictions next week, but has seen a recent uptick in cases since finding the Delta variant has reached the country.
- US: President JOE BIDEN signed a bill into law making Juneteenth a national holiday. The House of Representatives overwhelmingly voted in favor of making Juneteenth a federal holiday the day before he signed the bill, with only 14 white male Republican Congressmen voting against the measure. The measure was unanimously approved by the Senate the day before. Juneteenth, which was made a state holiday in Texas in 1980, marks the day in which news of the emancipation of slaves finally reached Texas in 1865, finally ending the practice of owning slaves in the US. The holiday, which will become the 11th nationally recognized federal holiday, is celebrated on June 19th, though it should be noted that while it will now be a holiday observed by federal offices cannot be forced upon states to observe so states will have to take up their own measures if they wish to officially recognize Juneteenth as a state holiday.
- US/Russia: US President JOE BIDEN and Russian President VLADIMIR PUTIN had their first face-to-face meeting together in Austria. Reportedly within the meeting the leaders agreed to resume talks regarding nuclear weapons and allow ambassadors to return to their respective posts; Biden also addressed Russia’s attempts to meddle in US elections and Russian hackers attacking government servers and private companies in the US; Putin denied both. Later in separate press conferences, Putin refused to directly answer questions about the imprisonment of opposition leader ALEXEI NAVALNY but then suggested it is no different than the handling of the January 6th insurrection in the US, a comparison Biden later balked at in his own press conference. Biden later called the talks “positive” but also that he “did what [he] came to do” while Putin called their meeting “constructive” and “not hostile”.
- THE ROYAL REPORT -
- UK: “Great British Bake Off” judge PRUE LEITH, actress RUTH WILSON, and dancer and former “Strictly Come Dancing” judge ARLENE PHILLIPS are among the notable names included in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honors. Leith and Phillips were both made dames. Wilson joins singers ALISON MOYET, ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK, and SKIN (from the band Skunk Anansie), radio presenter SIMON MAYO, soccer star RAHEEM STERLING, and tv judge ROBERT RINDER in becoming MBE’s. Sports broadcaster SUE BARKER, Yes musician RICK WAKEMAN, and singer LULU have received CBE’s. Actor JONATHAN PRYCE has been knighted.
- UK: Queen ELIZABETH II hosted US President JOE BIDEN and First Lady JILL BIDEN for tea at Windsor Castle. Joe Biden is the 13th US President to meet with the Queen during her reign.
- Actress ZOE KRAVITZ will make her directorial debut with the film “Pussy Island”, which will star actor CHANNING TATUM as a tech mogul in a tropical paradise harboring a dangerous secret. Kravitz co-wrote the script and will also serve as one of the film’s producers, as will Tatum.
- Actress CYNTHIA ERIVO has agreed to produce and star in a remake of the musical romantic drama “The Rose” for Searchlight. The remake, in which Erivo will play a self-destructive female rocker who struggles to deal with the constant pressures of her career and the demands of those who surround her, will “put a contemporary lens on the high price of fame” The remake plans to “pay homage” to the original film, which starred BETTE MIDLER.
- ALLEN HUGHES has been tapped to direct a biopic about late soul singer MARVIN GAYE called “What’s Going On” for Warner Bros. The script was written by poet/playwright MARCUS GARDLEY and Motown and Gaye’s estate are involved in the project, allowing for his discography to be used in the film. Casting for the film is currently underway with plans to begin production in 2022 and release the film in 2023.
- Director PETER JACKSON’s six-hour documentary “The Beatles: Get Back”, about the legendary British ‘60s rock band, will receive a three-day Thanksgiving debut on Disney+.
- MOVIE CASTING UPDATE -
- Actress/comedian/“The View” co-host WHOOPI GOLDBERG has joined the voice cast of animated film “Luck” for Apple+. Goldberg will voice the Captain, the head of security for the Land of Good Luck.
- Actress CHLOE FINEMAN will join actor ANDY GARCIA in a new remake of “Father of the Bride”.
- Actors SAOIRSE RONAN, LAKEITH STANFIELD, and PAUL MESCAL will star in the sci-fi film “Foe”.
- Actor KEVIN BACON will play the villain in the reboot film “Toxic Avenger” opposite actor PETER DINKLAGE, who will play the title role.
- Actors GERARD BUTLER and MORENA BACCARIN will reprise their “Greenland” roles in an as-yet-untitled sequel to the action thriller.
- Actress JENNIFER LOPEZ will star in the sci-fi thriller “Atlas” for Netflix.
- A prequel series to the live-action film adaptation of “Beauty and the Beast” has been ordered to series for Disney+. The live-action musical series will star actors LUKE EVANS and JOSH GAD, who will reprise their film roles of Gaston and LeFou, respectively.
- A reboot of ‘80s sitcom “Perfect Strangers” is in development at HBO Max. The reboot would be “loosely inspired” by the original series and will star actresses ROBIN THEDE AND LONDON HUGHES as two women who “unexpectedly discover they are half-sisters when they both inherit a 1-bedroom apartment above a yoga studio in Brooklyn”. Thede will also pen the script for the prospective comedy series.
- Disney+ announced it is permanently switching the release schedule for all its original shows from Fridays to Wednesdays. The move comes after the streamer’s debut of Marvel series “Loki”, which became the streaming service’s most-watched original series to date after its release last Wednesday. The release date change only affects original Disney+ shows; Disney+ original films will still be released on Fridays.
- Lifetime has ordered a “Highway to Heaven” reboot movie series inspired by the 1980’s NBC series that starred late actor MICHAEL LANDON. The new tv movie series will star JILL SCOTT and BARRY WATSON.
- TV CASTING UPDATE -
- Actress JAMEELA JAMIL has joined the cast of the upcoming Disney+ Marvel series “She-Hulk”. Jamil will play the villain Titania opposite actress TATIANA MASLANY, who has been cast as Jennifer Walters, aka She-Hulk, the cousin of Bruce Banner aka The Hulk, from whom she gains her powers via a blood transfusion. Actor MARK RUFFALO, who played Bruce Banner in the "Avengers” franchise will reprise the role for the series and actor TIM ROTH, who played Emil Blonsky/The Abomination in the 2008 film “The Incredible Hulk” will reprise that role for the series as well. Actresses GINGER GONZAGA and RENEE ELISE GOLDSBERRY have also been cast in as yet unknown roles.
- ABC daytime drama series “General Hospital” confirmed that actor WES RAMSEY has officially exited the series. Ramsey played villain Peter August on the series since 2017; his last appearance was on June 3rd when he character was apparently killed off.
- Actor MILO VENTIMIGLIA has been added to the season 4 cast of Amazon Prime comedy series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”.
- Reality stars KELLY DODD, BRAUNWYN WINDHAM-BURKE, and ELIZABETH LYN VARGAS will not return for the 16th season of Bravo reality series “The Real Housewives of Orange County”; however, former castmate HEATHER DUBROW will be returning to the series.
- Actress MEGAN BOONE announced she is leaving NBC drama series “The Blacklist” after 8 seasons.
- TV RENEWALS* AND PICKUPS/EXTENSIONS** -
* “See”, Apple TV+, renewed for season 3
* “The Talk”, CBS, renewed for season 12
* “Cruel Summer”, Freeform, renewed for season 2
* “The Hardy Boys”, Hulu, renewed for season 2
* “The Challenge”, MTV, renewed for season 37
* “Girls5eva”, Peacock, renewed for season 2
- TV CANCELLATIONS* AND TRIMMED/NOT-EXTENDED SEASONS** -
* “The Moodys”, Fox, cancelled after two seasons
* “Manifest”, NBC, cancelled after three seasons
* “Grand Army”, Netflix, cancelled after one season
- LAST WEEK’S NEW #1 SINGLES AND ALBUMS AROUND THE WORLD –
Euro (Digital Song Sales): Song – “Save Your Tears” by THE WEEKEND
France (Digital Song Sales): Song – “Iko Iko” by JUSTIN WELLINGTON & SMALL JAM
Germany: Song – “Good 4 U” by OLIVIA RODRIGO; Album - “20” by NO ANGELS
Greece: Album - “Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers” by BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS
Italy: Album - “Untouchable” by TONY EFFE
Japan (Hot 100): Song – “Gomenne Fingers Crossed” by NOGIZAKA 46
Mexico (Airplay): Song – “Botella Tras Botella” by GERA MX + CHRISTIAN NADAL
Spain (Digital Song Sales): Song – “Imagine” by THE HARMONY GROUP
Switzerland (Digital Song Sales): Song – “Iko Iko” by JUSTIN WELLINGTON & SMALL JAM
US (Billboard): Album - “The Voice of the Heroes” by LIL BABY & LIL DURK
UK (UK Official): Album - “Blue Weekend” by WOLF ALICE
Helllllllooooo! And how ye be today?What's going on with you? What'd you do last week? What've you got planned for this week? How's the weather where you are? Have you been watching the Olympics at all? How's the Covid situation where you are? Got any news or anything noteworthy to share? As always, we love hearing from you... whatever's on your mind whether you're happy, sad, angry, in...