Here's everything that's been happening in the world of Pop Culture this past week... in case you missed it! Feel free to comment on any of the stories and info shared here, add any news bits that you caught going on that may have been missed, or at least show us some love if you read the post but have nothing to comment on by clicking on that little heart icon at the bottom of the post...
GENERAL POP CULTURE NEWS:
- A fire broke out in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, destroying the building’s roof and spires though the overall structure remained intact. The cause of the fire is still unknown but is presumed to have been accidental. Several priceless artifacts held in the cathedral were managed to be rescued from the building as firefighters fought back the flames. French President EMMANUEL MACRON vowed to rebuild the cathedral and French billionaire FRANCOIS-HENRI PINAULT and his actress wife SALMA HAYEK pledged $113 million to assist in the rebuilding.
- Several high-profile members of the Writers Guild of America, including PATTON OSWALT, DAVID SIMON, MICHAEL SCHUR, JOHN AUGUST, AMY BERG, DAMON LINDELOF, and DANNY ZUKER, have gone public with letters formally firing their agents in compliance with the WGA’s order to do so following a breakdown in negotiations between the guild and the Association of Talent Agents. The WGA had sought to reform the longstanding industry practice of agencies receiving packaging fees on tv series and movies, among other things, and get talent agents on board with a new Agency Code of Conduct, the latter of which Hollywood’s largest agencies refused to sign on to, setting up the mass split of thousands of screenwriters from their agents.
- Actor KEANU REEVES said he was put in “movie jail” by Fox for 10 years after he turned down “Speed 2”.
- Professional sports gambler JAMES HOLZHAUER bested his own record on syndicated game show “Jeopardy!”, earning $131,127 on Wednesday’s episode, his tenth game, the most earned in a single game on the series. Holzhauer previously set a new record for the most single-day cash winnings on the series last Tuesday, his fourth game, when he earned $110,914.
- Hudson News CEO JAMES COHEN will reportedly purchase the National Enquirer for $100 million.
- THIS WEEK IN SPORTS -
- PGA: Golfer TIGER WOODS won the Masters Tournament. It was Woods fifth time winning in Augusta and his 15th major overall. Woods, once a prolific golfer before injuries derailed his career for some time, last won a tournament in 2008.
- AWARDS UPDATE -
- The Television Academy singled out seven programs that “motivate social change” for the 12th Television Academy Honors. Those special honors went to FX drama series “Pose”, ABC drama series “A Million Little Things”, Netflix sitcom “Alexa & Katie”, documentary series “Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story” and “My Last Days”, and documentary features “RBG” and “I Am Evidence”.
- “Extra” host MARIO LOPEZ and comedian/“The Talk” co-host SHERYL UNDERWOOD will host the 46th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, which will take place on Sunday, May 5th.
- POLITICS-R-US -
- US: President DONALD TRUMP vetoed a Congressional resolution to pull US support of the Saudi-led Yemen war.
- US: A redacted version of the Mueller Report was released. The 448-page document laid out in detail how Russia infiltrated the 2016 US general election beginning in 2014, initially planning to just sew discord before deciding to work expressly to get reality star businessman DONALD TRUMP elected over former Secretary of State and former US Senator HILLARY CLINTON. The document also contains 188 pages describing how now President Trump has gone about attempting to obstruct justice prior to and during the Mueller probe, with most of his attempts to do so thwarted by his own staff. Unlike the four page summary Attorney General WILLIAM BARR released last month, the document does not claim Trump did not obstruct justice nor did it leave the decision up to Barr to make, but rather, noted that due to the determination of the Justice Department that a sitting president cannot be indicted, Mueller’s team would not specifically determine he committed crimes but also specifically noted they could not exonerate him due to the evidence they compiled, suggesting Trump could be indicted once out of office or impeached by Congress.
- A sequel to the second video game adaptation “Tomb Raider”, starring actress ALICIA VIKANDER, is reportedly in the works despite the remake’s lackluster box office haul.
- Warner Bros. has hired TRAVIS KNIGHT to direct the studio’s adaptation of the classic ‘70s sci-fi tv series “The Six Million Dollar Man”, now dubbed “The Six Billion Dollar Man”. Actor MARK WAHLBERG is reportedly attached to star.
- TOP 5 LAST WEEKEND AT THE U.S. BOX OFFICE (NEW RELEASES IN BOLD) –
1. “Shazam!” – $24.5M
2. “Little” - $15.4M
3. “Hellboy” - $12.0M
4. “Pet Sematary” - $9.7M
5. “Dumbo” - $9.4M
- FILMS OPENING THIS WEEKEND (US Wide Releases) -
* Horror/Mystery/Thriller “The Curse of La Llorona” starring LINDA CARDELLINI and RAYMOND CRUZ
* Documentary “Penguins” starring ED HELMS
* Biographical Drama “Breakthrough” starring CHRISSY METZ and JOSH LUCAS
- MOVIE CASTING UPDATE -
- Actresses KRISTEN BELL and LESLIE JONES will star in the counterfeit coupon cartel film “Queenpins”.
- Actress ELISABETH MOSS has joined the reboot of the classic monster movie “The Invisible Man”.
- Actress MICHELLE YEOH has joined the cast of JAMES CAMERON’s upcoming “Avatar” sequels.
- Actress/dancer MADDIE ZIEGLER has been added to the cast of STEVEN SPIELBERG’s remake of the musical “West Side Story”.
- The season 8 premiere of HBO drama series “Game of Thrones” drew 17.4 million viewers, including 11.8 million who watched on the linear channel, setting a multi-platform record.
- Rappers SNOOP DOGG and THE GAME and r&b artist TANK called on Fox News to fire tv host LAURA INGRAHAM after she mocked late rapper NIPSY HUSSLE on her Fox News program “The Ingraham Angle” just a day after his memorial.
- Late night host JIMMY KIMMEL will stage live re-creations of two classic NORMAN LEAR sitcoms for ABC. The 90-minute primetime special will recreate one episode each from “All in the Family” and “The Jeffersons” featuring all-star casts including WOODY HARRELSON and MARISA TOMEI as Archie and Edith Bunker and JAMIE FOXX and WANDA SYKES as George and Louise Jefferson. Actors ELLIE KEMPER, WILL FERRELL, and JUSTINA MACHADO have also been announced to appear in the special, which is set to air on ABC on Wednesday, May 22nd.
- NBC announced it will swap Tuesday airings of reality singing competition series “The Voice” with drama series “The Village” to move the live singing program away from the timeslot competition of CBS drama series “NCIS”. “The Village” will now occupy the 8pm timeslot and “The Voice” will move into the 9pm slot. Medical drama “New Amsterdam” will continue to air at 10pm. The move essentially sacrifices the freshman midseason drama while allowing “The Voice” to still win the key demo ratings war in the 9pm hour and, presumably, will also strengthen “New Amsterdam” with the stronger lead-in. The newly altered Tuesday lineup will take effect next week and conclude on May 21st.
- TV CASTING UPDATE -
- Actress TATIANA MASLANY will costar with actor MATTHEW RHYS in the upcoming HBO revival of “Perry Mason”.
- Actress LENA WAITHE will join the season 3 cast of HBO drama series “Westworld”.
- Actor STERLING K. BROWN is joining the season 3 cast of Amazon comedy series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”.
- TV RENEWALS* AND PICKUPS/EXTENSIONS** -
* “Blue Bloods”, CBS, renewed for season 10
* “Last Man Standing”, Fox, renewed for season 8
* “When Calls The Heart”, Hallmark Channel, renewed for season 7
* “Shrill”, Hulu, renewed for season 2
* “Good Girls”, NBC, renewed for season 3
* “Manifest”, NBC, renewed for season 2
- TV CANCELLATIONS AND TRIMMED/NOT EXTENDED SEASON ORDERS** -
* “Rel”, Fox, cancelled after one season
* “The Gifted”, Fox, cancelled after 2 seasons
- The band POLYPHONIC SPREE announced they will perform a #CareForTheCaravan benefit concert to benefit refugees and migrants at the US border near McAllen, Texas. The two-day concert series will raise funds via a donation and awareness drive, encouraging attendees to bring new and unused toiletries, shoes, and clothes for children and adults of all sizes, and baby supplies. The concerts begin on May 18th at the Granada Theatre in Dallas, Texas and will include appearances by CURE FOR PARANOIA and CRY HAVOC THEATER COMPANY.
- Property from the estate of late singer and multi-instrumentalist GREG LAKE, former of the bands EMERSON, LAKE, AND PALMER and KING CRIMSON, will be up for auction via Julien’s Auctions. The collection, including Lake’s instruments and other gear, clothing, and other memorabilia, will be available for bidding starting May 18th as part of its Music Icons auction.
- The New York Yankees have reportedly stopped using late singer KATE SMITH’s rendition of IRVING BERLIN’s “God Bless America” during their home games because of allegations of past racism in Smith’s prior choice of songs.
- MUSIC CHARTS – LAST WEEK’S #1 SINGLES AND ALBUMS AROUND THE WORLD –
Argentina (Billboard Hot 100): Song – “Con Calma” by DADDY YANKEE ft. SNOW
Australia (ARIA): Song – “Bad Guy” by BILLIE EILISH; Album - “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” by BILLIE EILISH
Canada (Billboard): Song – “Old Town Road” by LIL NAS X ft. BILLY RAY CYRUS; Album - “Free Spirit” by KHALID
China (Billboard Social Chart): Song – “Bigger” by KUN CAI
France (Digital Sales): Song – “Always Remember Us This Way” by LADY GAGA
Germany: Song – “Harami” by SAMRA; Album – “Mosaik” by ANDREA BERG
Ireland (IRMA): Song – “Old Town Road” by LIL NAS X; Album - “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” by BILLIE EILISH
Japan (Hot 100): Song – “Ishi” by HKT48
South Korea (Billboard K-Pop 100): Song – “Four Seasons” by TAEYEON
US (Billboard): Song – “Old Town Road” by LIL NAS X ft. BILLY RAY CYRUS; Album - “Free Spirit” by KHALID
UK (UK Official): Song – “Someone You Loved” by LEWIS CAPALDI; Album - “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” by BILLIE EILISH
How many of the top Superhero movies (according to Rotten Tomatoes) have you seen? https://www.buzzfeed.com/audreyworboys/rotten-tomatoes-best-superhero-movies-ever
Here's everything that's happened this past week in the wonderful world of Celebrity, in case you missed it! Feel free to comment on any of this week's "Star News", share some celebrity news you heard from this past week that didn't get a mention here, or at least show us some love if you read the post but have nothing to comment on by clicking on that little heart icon at the bottom of the...