Sleep Apnea Support Group

Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder characterized by brief interruptions of breathing during sleep. People with sleep apnea partially awaken as they struggle to breathe, but in the morning they may not be aware of sleep disturbances.

0 Online
0 Online

Dry mouth with Cpap

I am a new user of the Cpap machine and am adjusting slowly. After 3 or 4 hours of sleep I wake up with a very dry mouth. Would any of you have any suggestions to relieve this problem?

Replies

BreatheEasy
BreatheEasy

I know this is a really old post and you probably will not read this now, but I will answer anyway. For me the dry mouth and a little sore throat from dry airways is almost a normal part of life for me. I use the humidifier setting on my BiPap, but I really do not think that it makes much difference at all. So, Occassionally if I wake up I will just sip water out of a water bottle to wetten things down. sorry, this is not much help! JoAnn
deleted_user
deleted_user

You will probably laugh at me but I tape my mouth shut with two bandaids and helps really helps. My mouth stays shut all night and I don't wake up or have a dry mouth. I use the sheer ones so it doesn't hurt my skin. I'm not kidding it works. My hubby teases me and asks if I will tape my mouth shut during the day.LOL Seriously I couldn't get a good night's sleep when I kept getting up for a drink of water. I hated having my tongue so dry I couln't move it. Laugh at me if you must but it works for me. I had to experiment with positioning the bandaids but it does work.
BreatheEasy
BreatheEasy

Thanks Vicki, that sounds like something well worth trying. I can see why hubby would delight in teasing you about daytime taping though. Onnery things... (men) lol!
deleted_user
deleted_user

You can get a mask with a chin strap..if you have dentures remove them....if you have natural teeth.....try rubbing some olive oil over them before sleep...just a bit....dry teeth are my worst thing..if you are sleeping in a nose mask with your mouth open you are defeating the purpose of the mask to begin with...if you have a full face mask....well you have my symapthy....they are uncomfortable to me in the extreme....but the sip of water helps as does a bit of oil on your teeth..
Hugs
sisterhood
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for all the tips! My DRY teeth are an issue with me. I am going to try the oil!
deleted_user
deleted_user

For some reason we seem to get better at keeping our mouths closed as we gain CPAP experience. Water at bedside is good. Chin strap is helpful, oral appliance twice as helpful but very expensive. CHIN UP STRIPS are available on Internet & have helped some.
deleted_user
deleted_user

For some reason we seem to get better at keeping our mouths closed as we gain CPAP experience. Water at bedside is good. Chin strap is helpful, oral appliance twice as helpful but very expensive. CHIN UP STRIPS are available on Internet & have helped some.
BreatheEasy
BreatheEasy

These have been some great posts with some good ideas to try out. Thanks guys! JoAnn
BeckyJoMcd
BeckyJoMcd

I use the wide chin strap (appx. 3 inches) & it really helps to keep my mouth closed. I reently had to add a night guard dental applinace because I grind my teeth at night, so I'm really pretty at bedtime!

Also, if you have constant dry mouth AND other problems like dry eye, swollen glands, joint pain, frequent colds or bronchitis you might want to get to the doctor & be tested for Sjogren's Syndrome. I was diagnosed 14 years ago and having the CPAP made my drynes worse, so I also added the moisture chamber to my CPAP.

I noticed that after I added the HEATED moisturizr chamber last year, that my dry mouth has really decreased at night.
KarSu
KarSu

You can go to the website chinupstrips.com and order adhesive strips specifically made to keep your mouth closed at night. I've been using them for about a month now and they really help to keep my mouth closed, thus less dry. I tried the chin strap that went w/my mask and hated using it because it moved around too much - very uncomfortable. Good Luck!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I found out yesterday that I'm not using the humidifier properly. In fact it wasn't even turning on. Now it works and I set it just a couple points higher and it makes a HUGE difference. Check with the supplier of the machine to make sure the humidifier is working properly and if it can increase the humidity. Good Luck!
deleted_user
deleted_user

For a cheap chinstrap, use a knotted pair of clean pantyhose.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Be careful with that humidifier...It is a good thing...but CAN pump to much fluid into the lungs and contribute to pneumonia....also you might try one of those nasal strips on your nose....my sister in law uses them and has good results...make sure your air filter is clean.....IF you smoke or have a spouse that smokes....tell them NOT to smoke around YOUR machine...it sucks it right into your lungs....Awww....consider what they smoke...If you like that sort of thing it could be kicky!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oooooooooops......about that humidifer....keep the thing CLEAN.....vinegar is good for that..but I prefer denture cleaner.....it's quicker...just break up the tab...put it in the container in morning....by evening it is clean and smelling fresh....
Hugs
deleted_user
deleted_user

There is some good advice here that hopefully will help me. Thank you.

I'm at my wits end with trying to solve my dry mouth problem. It just keeps getting worse. I tried the chin strap with the nose mask, which did really help, but it was just one strap too many, causing other problems.

I then got the full face mask (and CPAP pillow), which for me is actually more comfortable than the nose only, but has added more dry mouth problems. I have the humidifier turned way up, but see no improvement. I may resort to the bandaid!

I've had this CPAP about a year. It has done wonders for my energy level, although as of late the results are not as remarkable as they were at first. Perhaps it's due to waking so often due to the dry mouth. One problem seems to beget another.

Again, thank you. You have helped.