Shingles Support Group

Herpes zoster, colloquially known as shingles, is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, leading to a crop of painful blisters over the area of a dermatome. It occurs very rarely in children and adults, but its incidence is high in the elderly (over 60), as well as in any age group of immunocompromised patients.

1 Online
1 Online

Is the Sun Good or Bad for Shingles Rash?

Hello everyone. My name is Tanya, and I'm going into my 4th week of Shingles. Started Valtrex on the 2nd day of the rash, and it worked almost immediately. I have the rash on the right side; from my fingertips, up my arm, and on my shoulder. My question: Should I stay out of the sun completely until the post-rash goes away completely, or- should I get in the sun a little bit, i.e., will the sun help with the healing? My concerns: 1. could th sun cause the rash to flare up, and/or- 2. cause permanent scarring and discoloration? Any info. from those that have 'been there' will REALLY be appreciated.

Peace and Healing to you all :-)

Tanya

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know if this is any help. But my doc told me that heat will cause irritation, I think the sun would be good as long as you don't overdo it.
Take care!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Stay away from sun and getting sunburn on the area. I had shingles in 2005, and I still cannot stand being in the sun for any length of time.
Julia1953
Julia1953

My doctor said the sun can irritate the area you had shingles on for years, and to keep the sun off that area whenever possible. He also told me cold weather will irritate that area, and even air conditioning blowing directly onto that area can cause numbness and tingling that may not completely go away. I'd keep the sun off the area if I were you.