Shingles Support Group

Herpes zoster, colloquially known as shingles, is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, leading to a crop of painful blisters over the area of a dermatome. It occurs very rarely in children and adults, but its incidence is high in the elderly (over 60), as well as in any age group of immunocompromised patients.

0 Online

Getting a Tattoo after Shingles?

I'm in my second week of Shingles, and my 18th birthday is on the 25th of August. My mom agreed to help pay for a tattoo that I've wanted for a long time on my upper back. Just to clarify, I do realize that getting a tattoo when I still have the Shingles is a stupid idea. I wasn't planning on it, and a lot of tattoo artists won't even do anything if you have any sign of a rash. I was planning on getting it a couple of weeks after my blisters are all healed up. My shingles are on my left hip and my lower back. I was wondering how long would be safe to wait after Shingles to get the tattoo, and when I would know that Shingles is safely out of my system. Has anyone else tried to get a tattoo after Shingles? (I know I'm really young to get Shingles, and there aren't too many sixty-year-olds getting a tattoo.) Also, I have never had any skin problems with my upper back. Would that somehow irritate where my shingles were, even though it's not in the same area?

Replies

Julia1953
Julia1953

I would ask your doctor these questions. I don't know the reason, but I do know having a tattoo can actually make some medical conditions worse, and even put you at risk for some medical conditions. You might want to check this out...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-and-piercings/MC00020
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for the link, Julia. It makes me feel a lot better about it; especially since my tattoo contains no red ink. The place I'm checking out is clean, and I've already taken any other precaution I can think of. I'm going to ask the tattoo place to place three small dots under my skin to see what would happen. I hope that would help.
barbarame
barbarame

Do you REALLY need the tattoo? Lovely clear skin is so much prettier..........But it is obviously up to you! Be well soon !
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • barbarame

HE IS RISEN

She knelt in the garden her eyes blind with tearsShe did not feel the stones under her kneesShe was sorrow filled for all the yearsWhen she had sat at his feet to hear his storyKing of kings and his Kingdom of glory.How could it be that they had stripped him,Whipped him, and nailed him to a tree on Calvary?She had watched his dead body laid on his mother’s lapShe had seen his mother gently...
  • gerald222

Recognizing the devil

I recently wrote abt a new friend at church I met who is a street person and who a few weeks ago was having a crisis in which he was questioning God and why he made him homeless, poor etc and how he wanted to now turn his back on God.  After that incident he disappeared for a few weeks and recently resurfaced.  Last evening I took him for coffee and he shared some of his life with me and...