Shingles Support Group

Herpes zoster, colloquially known as shingles, is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, leading to a crop of painful blisters over the area of a dermatome. It occurs very rarely in children and adults, but its incidence is high in the elderly (over 60), as well as in any age group of immunocompromised patients.

0 Online
0 Online

Getting a Tattoo after Shingles?

I'm in my second week of Shingles, and my 18th birthday is on the 25th of August. My mom agreed to help pay for a tattoo that I've wanted for a long time on my upper back. Just to clarify, I do realize that getting a tattoo when I still have the Shingles is a stupid idea. I wasn't planning on it, and a lot of tattoo artists won't even do anything if you have any sign of a rash. I was planning on getting it a couple of weeks after my blisters are all healed up. My shingles are on my left hip and my lower back. I was wondering how long would be safe to wait after Shingles to get the tattoo, and when I would know that Shingles is safely out of my system. Has anyone else tried to get a tattoo after Shingles? (I know I'm really young to get Shingles, and there aren't too many sixty-year-olds getting a tattoo.) Also, I have never had any skin problems with my upper back. Would that somehow irritate where my shingles were, even though it's not in the same area?

Replies

Julia1953
Julia1953

I would ask your doctor these questions. I don't know the reason, but I do know having a tattoo can actually make some medical conditions worse, and even put you at risk for some medical conditions. You might want to check this out...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-and-piercings/MC00020
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for the link, Julia. It makes me feel a lot better about it; especially since my tattoo contains no red ink. The place I'm checking out is clean, and I've already taken any other precaution I can think of. I'm going to ask the tattoo place to place three small dots under my skin to see what would happen. I hope that would help.
barbarame
barbarame

Do you REALLY need the tattoo? Lovely clear skin is so much prettier..........But it is obviously up to you! Be well soon !