Shingles Support Group

Herpes zoster, colloquially known as shingles, is the reactivation of varicella zoster virus, leading to a crop of painful blisters over the area of a dermatome. It occurs very rarely in children and adults, but its incidence is high in the elderly (over 60), as well as in any age group of immunocompromised patients.

0 Online

Does this ever really go away?

I have on-going problems with exhaustion, mental confusion, blurred vision, tremors and I sleep way too much. It's been three months since I developed a severe case of Shingles, even though the Shingles are gone, except for the PHP, I cannot get my life back. I have not been able to return to work, I can't keep my apartment clean, and I live on stuff like yogurt and cereal because I don't have the energy or desire to cook.
I have had so many tests to see if these symptoms are caused by something else, with no luck. Anybody else out there with these problems? Any advice?

I had shingles of the forehead the entire month of March, and while I *did* return to work after a week of the onset, I can tell you I truly felt like crap, and only returned to work because I was at risk of losing my job, and I couldn't afford to.
The fatigue I had for MONTHS after my shingles outbreak was unreal. I had no energy whatsoever, I worked and slept. My days off I slept. Doing anything "extra", even fun stuff like going to a movie, was all but impossible.
Five months later I am feeling more like "normal" than I have in a long time, but I still find if I get stressed, or if I get something simple, like a cold, I am knocked flat all over again.
From what my doc told me, this is all to be expected, shingles can affect you long after the rash is over.

Dear genAtlanta:
My singles lasted about 18 months but the left midriff area still remains sensitive some years later! It is ok & smart not to cook...just include the convenient foods of fresh fruits and veggies, plus peanut butter & other nuts. Your cereal & yogurt are very good choices.
Your symptoms pretty much describe how I felt also. It is truly tough-going for some individuals. Be thankful that you are ABLE to sleep...I could not get comfortable enough to sleep much. I found medicines to be of no help. Time is your friend...things will become better for you I believe & I will keep you in my prayers.

Julia1953 & genAtlanta;
It is probably important to take multi-vitamin supplements to help your immunity system get back on its feet and up and running again. I continue to take them long afterwards, hopefully to guard against contracting Shingles ever again. I also recently took the anti-shingles shot. My arm is still very sore from it. I wonder if everyone has arm pain as I am experiencing from getting the shot?