Sciatica Support Group

Sciatica is a term meaning pain that originates from compression of the sciatic nerve, the longest and largest nerve in the body. If the sciatic nerve is pinched or compressed (perhaps by a bulging disc in the low back) a patient may experience leg pain--the classic symptom of sciatica.

0 Online
0 Online

Gabapentin

Is anyone else on gabapentin? If so, how does it work? How are the side affects? Are you having side affects?
I can't tell if I am or not...

Replies

SLOdonna
SLOdonna

Hi

I have been on Gabapentin, 800 mg. three times a day for several months. It does help with the sciatica pain that goes down my hip and leg. No side effects.

Donna
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have being it for about 10 years now and works well for me.
Their are side effects, go to rateadrug.com and it will list all the side effects.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just started taking Gabapentin 2 days ago. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones,it started working within hours of my first use. It doesn't relieve all the pain but it does relieve enough to enjoy life again, I got my first full night sleep last night that I haven't had in months, I haven't noticed any side effects yet but its to soon to tell. I'll let you know when I do
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello all,

The first time I tried Gabapentin (prescribed by my back surgeon), I started stumbling like a drunk sailor after only the first 800 mg pill! I stopped it right away.

My PCP said my prior ataxia condition is made worse by Gabapentin. He asked that I try to start with 1-100 mg capsule/day and give my body time to adjust, and slowly work up to the dosage that stops the pain. I'm up to 100 mg taken three time daily. The pain hasn't been reduced significantly but I definitely have unsteady walking since starting Jan. 7, 2014. I'll keep trying as I can tolerate more. Meanwhile, I'm still taking 2-tablets of OTC strength Naproxen Sodium twice daily for partial pain relief.

I'm glad to see that some of you can go "all in" with success...............kentm
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello TheTruthO (??),

The following WebMD link has the side effects of gabapentin:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-8217-GABAPENTIN+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=14208&drugname=Gabapentin+Oral

Like all drugs, the listed side effects include the myriad of side effects reported during drug trials. Some experience NONE of those listed and others, like me, experience one or more of the more troublesome effects, which I describe as stumbling like a drunk! My earlier post goes into more detail about how I'm trying to cope. Bottom line - one must decide if the pain relief is worth the side effects.................Kent
deleted_user
deleted_user

Bad side effects, My Dr. had me try Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg, I couldn't stay awake..would sleep for 30 minutes wake up, fall back asleep repeatedly, very drowsy.
So then he tried Metaxalone 800 mg..I think this was a sugar pill..did nothing for me.
Think I should give Gabapentin a try?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am on tramadol. and klonopin. and using endep

I am wondering about trying lyrica or gabapentin

nothing makes me sleepy

but endep with tramadol. does .. but not all night.

as u take gabapentin during the day I guess it doesn't make you sleepy.

yeah different people have different side effects. no point in looking. but seeing if it affects you

I notice cold water. and cold air. aggravates my nerve pain in leg. in the calf. it is hot in Australia and I have been having a cold spa.
and cannot turn electric blanket on.
and heat bags are making me too hot.. but still have to start the day with one

mum of 4. in Australia
Dava
Dava

GABAPENTIN 100 MGS = NO SIDE EFFECTS.I ALSO USE TRAMADOL 375 MGS.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Been on Gabapentin n oxycodone for about 8 yrs for discs in my neck. Fell in November n siatica hit me hard . I increased gabapentin from 200 a day to 900 n oxycodone at 30mg a day..Still hard to function going to ask doctor to increase gabapentin . Waking every morning to this kind of pain is horrible. Takes hours to get in function mode. I do walk about 10 miles a day n try to bike as well. I don't know of any side effects from either drug on my part. Good luck!
GrannyGoodWitch
GrannyGoodWitch

hello everyone I am starting gabapentin tonight for the first time....I am just glad that they have finally agreed to give it to me....my sciatic nerve has been a mess for four years .....I've done it all and finally had to threaten to report my nurse practioner to the nursing board ...I was in her office within 10min with an apologie from her...I really don't like being like this but I can no longer take this pain.....I hope it works for me because right now I have no life at all.....it is bad when your 6 year old grand daughter says"quit your whining granny you'll be fine" sheesh I love that kid LOL

Brightest Blessings everyone
deleted_user
deleted_user

May I ask people who are on long term medication, like Tramadol or Gabapentin, are you doing this because surgery is not an option or not your choice?

I myself have struggled with the question of surgery.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have been dealing with my sciatica for 4 years..and I have not found many people that had good success from surgery. I don't care to be on drugs long term. I only use them as needed rather than a daily ritual.
Inversion table helps and you can pick one up for 150 bucks.
GrannyGoodWitch
GrannyGoodWitch

I see my neurosurgeon on Monday and I am wresteling with the surgery....I want to try but what if it dorsn't work...what would be my choices then...I don't want any more shots because they turn your bones to mush and then the next choice is a wheel chair.....sorry to sound negative but I have tried everything and not much is helping....this is going on 5 years now and what the hell other choices do I have...
PinkAnything09
PinkAnything09

On 300MG 3 times a day, I get a little foggy headed, dry mouth, and a little swelling in my hands.
deleted_user
deleted_user

gained 30 lbs. in 2 months on this drug