Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
0 Online

Vectra DA test

A friend just sent me this link. Has anyone heard about this new blood test for
RA? I'm going to ask my Rheumy about it at next visit.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

ooops..here's the link.

http://www.crescendobio.com/crescendo/vectra/900-vectra-da.aspx
disneyfan
disneyfan

never heard of it.
LynnRivers
LynnRivers

Hmmm.. I wonder if this is available in Canada. I think I'll send them an e-mail.
trinaunz
trinaunz

all - i took this test last month and just got the results back today through my rheumy. OMG - i think it will change my life.

over the last few years i've tried several drug combinations, including enbrel, simponi and remicade, and never achieved the remission i'd hoped for. turns out that of the two proteins that biologics target, IL-6 and TNF-RI, we've been chasing the *wrong* one. all the biologics i've tried in the past target the TNF protein, and the vectra test showed that my much larger issue is the concentration of IL-6 proteins in my body.

so, on to either orencia or actemra, the two biologics that will work best for me, according to the test. i'm actually looking forward to trying something new this time, and i wouldn't have felt that way were it not for the vectra test.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting indeed!
cherylmalley
cherylmalley

I just had this test. It confirms that I do have RA. :(
I'm not sure that insurance companies pay for the test, yet, but Crescendo may cover the costs.
trinaunz
trinaunz

@cherylmalley - i hope the results can also guide you toward optimal treatment for your RA. i had my first actemra infusion (based on the vectra test results) a few weeks ago and i do feel better. will do one or two more and then repeat the vectra DA test to see how the numbers have changed.

btw, the costs (for me) worked out like this: $995 for test, $500 paid by my insurance co, $400 waived by crescendo, $95 bill to me. it was totally worth it for me as it would have taken perhaps years of repeated failures before my rheumy would have recommended actemra.
basslure
basslure

Had this test done and Cresendo did pay for it. it is based on your income. if your under 95,000 they will pick up what your insurance company does not.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Does it work for seronegative people, too?
thinksRAstinks
thinksRAstinks

good question Missouri
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just went to their website and asked them if it works for seronegative patients. If I get an answer, I will share what they say.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Their tests were done on equal groups of seropositive and seronegative and the results they show on their website shows similar test results in both groups.

I'm seronegative, but I am going to ask for this test, because I'm seronegative to the currently available tests. This tests for several additional proteins. If I can get a better idea of what meds will work, I'm willing to beg my rheumy for this one.
trinaunz
trinaunz

i've had RA for about 11 years now, and for the first time ever, my last set of tests (not vectra) came back seronegative. i will need to repeat the vectras in a month or two, so i'll let you know how the results compare.
deleted_user
deleted_user

What awesomeness [only term I could think of]!!!!
thinksRAstinks
thinksRAstinks

I asked my RD about this test and he said he never heard of it. I said REALLY? I just saw ads for it in a few of your magazines in the waiting room. I think it's supposed to detect RA in people who are seronegative I said. he told me to get the magazine and he looked at the ad and pretty much said hogwash and blew me off.

Can anyone shine any light on this test for me? I'm interested to know if you had it and what information you got back from it.

Thanks