Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

2 Online
2 Online

sweating

ok have to ask this..... my body seems to not be able to control its tempature. I am always sweating like my hair is getting wet. ESPECIALLY at night. my sheets are getting wet and my husband will roll over in the middle of the night and tells me my whole body is literally wet with sweat. I know this is gross but does this happen to anyone else? and why is this happening is this a sign the ra is getting worse? I would appriciate any and all thoughts.

thanks andrea

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I was having night sweats to, I told my RA doc she said it wasn't my meds But didn't same concerned about it . So hopeful it is nothing.Talk to your doc u go on the 22 right.
Hope u feel better
Christinann
purplekitty
purplekitty

It is one of the common problems with RA. Stinks - no pun intended.
disneyfan
disneyfan

I have the same problem...its day and night
deleted_user
deleted_user

Andrea, Is it possible you are either pre menapausal or in menopause already. I went thru the night sweats and it had nothing to do with my RA, it was all hormonal. I also have many ffriends who expperienced the night sweats far worse than me and didn't have any auto immune diseases let alone RA. I suggest you contact your gynecologist and start there. I would be surprised if this was anything but hormonally related. BTW menapause can come at almost any age, depends on your family history. In the meantime google "chillo". It is a really neat rubber pillow that you fill with water and that keeps you cool all night. I and many friends made it thru menaause much easier with this pillow. Keep us informed what's going on. marcia
deleted_user
deleted_user

Never had this problem until RA. Now I sweat constantly, night is bad but daytime if its above 70 is horrible. I have a fan running in my office even in the winter so I don't look like a drowned rat.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am on the other side of menopause (hallelujah!) but recently my body has reverted to peri-menopausal thermostatic problems. Night sweats have returned. I, too, would like to know why. I just figured it had something to do with RA or some of these strange meds that we take. (With an outdoor heat index here of 101F, I know why I've been having daytime sweats!)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had this problem since just before getting RA. First my body temperature was below normal for a few years. My doc thought it was lupus. Then I got sweats badly from prednisone for asthma.

That morphed into menopause. I am post menopausal and it was really bad this winter. My doc ruled out menopausal symptoms. I started taking Manganese a few weeks ago, which is supposed to help, and surprisingly , it HAS! Not magnesium, but manganese. You might want to try it and see if it helps. I would be interested in hearing from others who have this problem, and it helps. It might be random chance, or just me, but I am so happy not to break into a sweat for no reason.
sandi7213
sandi7213

I have this problem to, day an night. I will try the manganese and see about that pillow lol
CharlieBaxter
CharlieBaxter

Night sweats are a side effect of prednisone
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have this problem, too, in a big way! It's my understanding that both Prednisone and MTX can cause it, and that it can be caused by RA. I'm either freezing cold or dripping with heat and sweat. Never comfortable. Another one of those joys from RA.
naturegirl65
naturegirl65

It could be the prednisone or the nature of RA. I sweat at night , have done for years, all round my neck and hair is wet.

But also...

Have you ever been tested for Lyme? and other tick illnesses?

The reason why I as is. As you know what I have been through recently. It has caused me to do lots of reading and researching.

I found out that it is possible that people with RA still may have the Spirochetes bacteria even though the Lyme test comes back negative, sometimes the tests do come back negative. And there are other 'friend's of Lyme, Barbissia and Bartonella.

And they can cause sweating and especially at night. I was sweating so much with this recent illness and night time was the worse.

I am not saying this is your problem, but it seems ever since I got this tick bite and this horrible tick borne illness, it caused me to read and has opened up a whole new world for me.

It makes me wonder that all these years I have had RA and fibromyalgia, it has been due to this bacteria that has not been detected. I had a lyme test done back in '92 when all my problems began, but it came back negative, I have never been re-tested again. But that sometimes happens with people.

People can be sick for years and years and docs don't know what is going on with patients, or they get diagnosed with RA, Fibro, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.

If you read some articles by Dr, Cowden you may be surprised.

I just wanted to share.
i will post the link to Dr. Cowden's article
deleted_user
deleted_user

WOW ! So I am NOT crazy after all ! I have "hot flashes" and sweat ALL the time - day or night! I thought it was my hormones - but, even did it when I was taking them.... so, could it be the RA causing this too? I am newly diag and havent been to see a rheumatologists yet (I go in August) - so still learning - this is very interesting to me. I am not on any meds yet either - still sweat!
ahhhsushie
ahhhsushie

hey Andrea, I had this same problem for awhile too it was so awful i just felt gross all the time. I asked my dr to check my thyroid and it was off but then all of a sudden I stopped sweating they retested my thyroid and it was back to normal. Still dont know why that happened or what caused it but the sweating lasted for about two months for me. Hope you figure out what is going on with you!
m06455
m06455

its a side effect of prednisone if you take that. I do take prednisone and thats what my ra dr told me.
bigiblue
bigiblue

I take Remifemin for menopause, but do still get occasional nightsweats, so it must be the RA not just Meno.