Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

1 Online
1 Online

itching attacks

has anyone had sudden intermitant severe itching attacks. comes on strong lasts approximatly 4-hours. not recurring until the following day sometimes every other day.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

yes and it drives me nutts sometimes let cool water run over my skin helps but not to cold
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get itching attacks almost nightly. The more I itch the more I scratch and the more I itch. I have learned to take benedryl nightly ( I take Target generic) and it seems to help a bit. I have itched so badly that I give myself welts. Good luck I feel your insanity!
deleted_user
deleted_user

not to be morbid, but my best friends mother had terrible itching, and they found out she had liver problems. Are you having your liver levels checked? Just a thought.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Don't let Sandy's comment scare you,just something to check up on. I have liver tests every three months because of the MTX and have never had levels of toxicidity or anything out of whack. My doc says take the benydral if it helps.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I itch a lot, usually on the sides of my legs....but sometimes the swelling especially in my fingers makes them itch a lot. I think it's probably normal. My stomach was itching last night, and I was thinking......perhaps I'm developing an allergy to my fish oil pills which I took last night. Time will tell, I'm sure.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes I get it on my hands and fingers. Try Hydrocortisone cream and cold water. Once I got it at work and during break used direct constant pressure which worked!
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes, i itch, also. but i get mosquito-like bumps in random places. the 1st day i just itch. the 2nd day they appear. they last for 4-5 days. i keep telling my dr's & they keep telling me they don't know, it's probably something in my house. but this started happening when i started all my med's for RA. and just like bizemomm i get regular liver check up's. i think it's a reaction from the med's, but nothing serious.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Peggy,

Make sure that they are indeed keeping an eye on your liver function tests. Itching could be something as simple as the winter weather or as extreme as liver issues. Mtx can raise cane with the liver. I happen to have severe liver damage from Hep C and know how annoying the itchies can bee. Mtx tends to increase the itchy-scratchy game for me.

Mouse
SusieJD
SusieJD

Yes, palms and feet. Happens daily.

Susie
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello: I've had itching until it drives me UP THE WALL and I've been experiencing it most of the time it seems since I was diagnosed with RA in 2006. I'm thinking it has to be related to RA and the fact that we have a faulty immune system. I just scratched my leg almost until it bled and my lower back itching is driving me CRAZY!! I can't wait to read all the posts here and see if you have had any success w/any products you've used.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Two weeks ago I developed an itchy rash on my body and back, felt feverish and achey as well, Doc told me to stay off MTX for a week, gave me Daktarin cream , and I have an appt with Dermatoligist tomorrow, as rash still present, still itching, but all on a lesser scale now, also dont feel unwell either, so its a mystery, and a worry, I want to stay on the MTX, as it helps. Will keep you posted on this, no advice really, just keep positive I suppose, I also used Eurax cream, and lotion to soothe the itch , this helped a bit.Triciaxxx
lycesq
lycesq

Yes, I've had the itching. Benadryl and cortisone seem to help me.

Lynne
thinksRAstinks
thinksRAstinks

wow somebody else said palms and feet and I have this too. Does anyone know why?
PJamela
PJamela

I am so glad that I joined this group.
THE ITCHING! I had the itching and then a rash so bad before Christmas for the first time on my thighs that I dug it till it bled. My GP and Rheumy didn't seem to be concerned. How could they not be concerned? Now the itch doesn't seem to be centralized anywhere. I have a bad rash on my right foot, it started last night and the itch comes and goes. I still itch on my legs, but it is on my arms too now.

It is very cold here now, so I wonder if that is something. I was thinking today that I needed to buy some oatmeal lotion. Last winter, I used it everyday. This year, I bought a vitamin E or something because I feel like a very old lady maybe the vitamin E will keep me looking younger. haha.

I also have a lot of pain in my thighs and it is in my hips. My Rheumy discovered that I have Bursitis in my hips and got a cortisone shot in each one. But the rash was starting to heal when I got the shots.

Has anyone heard of babies, small children, too, who break out in a rash when they are very sick with an ear infection or sore throat because (as my daughter's doctor said) it is Gods way of helping them to communicate that they aren't feeling well when they can't say it.

Now, we can communicate our pain, but I wonder if since we are so used to having something hurt, that sometimes we are not paying close attention to a new need. Ex: I had no idea that the pain down my leg from my hip had anything to do with RA. (I am trying to pay more attention to my body) And when I got the itchy rash, I noticed everything... Just wondering or probably over analyzing.
purplekitty
purplekitty

I get sudden and severe itching on my forearms, usually in the evening. I know it is not medication, because it has been happening for a long time and all my meds have changed since it first began. I bought some Aveeno body wash and Aveeno lotion and they help a lot.