Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
0 Online

Hoarseness of Voice

Lately I have been experiencing severe coughing and my voice has been getting progressively more hoarse. My RA doctor performed x-rays and a CT scan and told me that I had scarring in my lungs and chronic bronchitis brought on by the RA. Along with this, my voice has been getting steadily more hoarse. As anyone else experienced these symptoms, and if so, what did you do?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I also have a good deal of scarring on my lungs from RA and asthma. Inhalers, both steroid and brocodialators, help somewhat...but once there's scarring you've permanently lost some lung function. Ask your doc to try some inhalers and see if they help you a little. :(
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sorry to hear about you condition.
I was told to stop all RA meds while experiencing respiratory problems. Is scarring of the lungs really irreversible?

Stay strong!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have hoarse voice with every flare up and when the disease was at its worst, I had a swollen throat that stayed that way for weeks. It was all cleared when my treatment (with Prednisone and Methotraxate) started. So, yes, hoarseness is a symptom that I experienced at the very beginning and that I experience from time to time now. I am not an expert on this but I would suggest that this symptom is totally separate from your lung problems...It's your vocal cords that are affected - not your lungs. Hopefully, with the right cocktail of medications, both will clear.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes, been there done that. I was a professional musician and singer. I also have asthma, which has knocked my range down quite a few notes. But the RA nodule on the vocal folds was the worst. Almost recovered, still can't sing above an A though, unless in falsetto. And there can be RA involvement in some kind of joint in the throat.

I never stop my RA meds while having respiratory problems. And I was just on anti-biotics in the spring for bronchitis. I also think that although the lungs are important for vocal support, the hoarseness is caused by vocal fold issues - whether coughing to clear your lungs (coughing is very hard on the vocal folds), or RA nodules.