Prostatitis Support Group

Prostatitis is any form of inflammation of the prostate gland. Inflammation of the prostate leads to pain, often during voiding but also in back and rectum. Frequent urination and increased urgency may suggest a cystitis (bladder inflammation). Ejaculation may be painful, as the prostate contracts during emission of semen. Antibiotics are the first line of treatment in acute prostatitis, which is classified as a medical emergency.

0 Online
0 Online

Anti-depressants for prostatitis

I know the whole physical/mental thing is tied together. It just seems like a vicious cycle. If your prostate acts up, you feel crummy and get depressed. If I'm just plain depressed or stressed, it seems like that pain just heads straight for the old prostate. And the urologist I went to gave an info sheet on prostatitis and one of the things was maybe an anti-depressant would be necessary.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone's tried an anti-depressant and if it helps with prostatitis symptoms? I've also heard that certain anti-depressants prevent you from completely emptying your bladder which is no good for the prostate.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I have the same issue and I am afraid of taking too many different drugs. Somethings got to give. :(
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am sure that the main trigger for me is stress. I have had a lot of really bad stuff happen to me and am being treated for depression as a result. When something bad happns to me it seems to trigger the problem and I get laid up for sometimes weeks and then the depression gets worse as I start to worry that I am never going to get better. Like you say it is a circle. trying to relax is hard. :(
federico5
federico5

FOR SURE , STRESS AND ANXIETY IS A ONE
OF THE CAUSES.
IM 57 YEARS....SUFFERING SINCE 25 YEARS.
I HAVE DONE ALL MEDS., PROCEDURES...

THE BEST FOR ME ...IS A PUDENTAL NERVE BLOCK .
A PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR CAN DO IT OUTPATIENT.
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.
IM NOT A DOCTOR ...ONLY A PATIENT WHO HAS SUFFERED FOR MANY YEARS . GOD BLESS.