Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Support Group

Polycythemia is a condition in which there is a net increase in the total circulating erythrocyte (red blood cell) mass of the body. Primary polycythemia occurs when excess erythrocytes are produced as a result of a proliferative abnormality of the bone marrow. Secondary polycythemia is caused by increases of erythropoietin that result in an increased production of erythrocytes.

0 Online
0 Online

The Journey

Hello everyone. I just recently joined this group as I have been seeking some understanding and much needed support and friendship. I really don't know anyone else with PCOS and people in my life really don't understand it.

I have had PCOS for a long time and have struggled with it's challenges for about 15 years. I have battled the obvious problems - facial hair growth (ugh!), acne, obesity and skin tags.

I have also battled atypical endometrial hyperplasia - a precurser to uterine cancer - compliments of PCOS.

I had a daughter when I was a teenager and tragically she died of SIDS when she was 8 months old. I have been married 19 years and have never had more children - although I had one ectopic, and 3 miscarriages. When it rains it pours.

Hopefully I can make some connections. I have recently lost 50 pounds, and I love resources. I would love to share and also find out what other women like me have done to cope.

I do not know what the future holds or whether or not I will successfully conceive and get pregnant. What I do know is I would love to finally have the opportunity to relate with.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles but congrats on the weight loss!! I was diagnosed last Feb and was really upset by it. I had gone to my gyno 2 years ago when I stopped taking birth control pill and he just gave me script and said this will make you have a period. He wasn't listening when I was telling him something was wrong. But good luck and I wish I had more advice but I'm sure you'll find happiness!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I appreciate your response. Yes, PCOS is a real battle, but I have found some natural remedies that have helped. The weight loss has been great, I went from size 22 to a 16.
I am hoping I will get pregnant, but I don't count it, I just always keep in mind that it could happen.
Good luck to you as well! I totally understand about doctors not getting it! I have frequently had to inform them about it!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi sorry to hear about your loss. I only found out I had pcos in June/July last year and still dont know too much about it. I have been trying to loose weight also and would love any advice you have. Keep in touch even if you just want a chat
deleted_user
deleted_user

Over the years I have tried many things to lose weight. What has finally helped me lose over 40lbs is - avoiding dairy, and grains. I center all of my meals around meat, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
Women who have PCOS also tend to be leptin resistant - something that makes losing weight difficult. Avoid eating after 8PM or your body will not be able to burn fat while you are sleeping - something it was created to do. Also, whenever possible, try to snack between meals.