Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Support Group

Polycythemia is a condition in which there is a net increase in the total circulating erythrocyte (red blood cell) mass of the body. Primary polycythemia occurs when excess erythrocytes are produced as a result of a proliferative abnormality of the bone marrow. Secondary polycythemia is caused by increases of erythropoietin that result in an increased production of erythrocytes.

0 Online
0 Online

PCOS cause "anger" issues

I was wondering if having PCOS can cause a person to have more "male" responses, such as anger, aggressive. I feel that I am always crabby and angry. I have a short fuse and explode at everything lately. Is it becuase of the testeterone that is being produced instead of the girl ones? I can't remember how this all works. I know it sounds stupid, at least how i have described it. If I started metformin again, would it make my moods even out again?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

i totally understand how you feel... sometimes i get some incredible rage like i need to hit something like the wall or something and i know its insane but i just feel like i need to scream and i dont understand why.. i was just diagnosed today with PCOD but i've felt this way for a long time
strength4today
strength4today

a lot of it is the out of whack hormones too. metformin could help because it will balance some of those hormones. i have found that zoloft works for me as well as the metformin.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have the same problems, hormones out of wack, angry all the time......but when i got on the pill i no longer had those angry problems. however, I do cry more...lol. so no more anger just tears, i don't now which one is better.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I tried the pill but the other side effects are awful and I want try and get pregnant. I am hoping that since i started Metformin again, that it goes away. I hate being angry. I am so glad that i am not the only one who has this problem
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've had this problem too, but since I started Paxil, it's pretty much evened out. I was told PCOS causes anxiety problems and panic attacks, so it could just be the anxiety building up, and anger/aggression is your response to that. I'd say talk to your doc, or endo, and see what he/she says. The anti-anxiety meds really can do wonders sometimes.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Are you serious? not one told me that it could cause anxiety and panic attacks. that explains so much. I have had trouble with that forever, even as a kid. Sometimes severe trouble. The antidepressant that works for me, i can't take if pregnant (danger to baby), and doctor won't give me it unless i am on the pill. I am so glad to know that I am not crazy. I don't like having to take meds for ever but it is better than feeling the way i do now. Thank you so much
iheartmzb
iheartmzb

I have anxiety and panic disorder, depression and what i call the red rages where i want to do as much damage as possible. I have never let myself get out of control but the urge is there. Zoloft did nothing for me like taking a sugar pill, but i love my metformin.
deleted_user
deleted_user

PCOS can cause mood swings. I think you might be right though because I can be the same way. But because you have more testoterone than estrogen, I'm not sure if it will make any difference, just find a way to relax (e.g. yoga, meditation, breathing exercises,etc.) don't blow a short fuse. Try and keep it under control.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have this also. I find it is even worse when I am PMSing. I feel as if I am not myself - as if something has taken over my body and filled it with tetchiness, anger, rage, irritability, snappinnes.. everything horrible. I sometimes just put myself away in a room so I can't be horrible to my family!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've become quite angry lately. I've also been DX'd with depression and anxiety. If you do some research online you'll find that depression almost goes hand in hand with PCOS.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i had been diagnosed with anxiety and depression as well as the PCOS but never once did anyone say they were related. Now i am really depressed.