Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

0 Online

My eleven year old son is already symptomatic of A

My nephrologist suggested me to measure my sons bloddpressure. He has no complains, is very sportive. So I measured him and it turned out to be way too high. We visited the pediatric nephrologist and today we got the results of the 24 hour measure: the pressure is so high that my son must see a cardiologist and ophtalmologist to chevk if there is damage in his organs already. I am really in shock, never thought that this could happen at such a young age. Any of you familiar with children with PKD with such high blood pressures at this age?

Replies

Chewitt
Chewitt

Hi Nicky73,
I'm sorry your son is having these difficulties at such a young age. I do hope that no damage has been done by the high blood pressure and that it will be brought under control quickly. I have heard of other children experiencing a similar thing. There used to be a young woman on here whose very young brother had taken blood pressure medication for some years. I'm monitoring my son's blood pressure so that I can act quickly if it rises. Try to encourage your son to avoid salty food and drink plenty of water. Keeping to a low (almost no) sodium diet has helped me to keep my blood pressure down for the last 13 years. Let us know what the cardiologist and ophthalmologist have to say.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • lilybell

teen with PKD

hi, I am 16 and was diagnosed with PKD 3 years ago. I've always had mixed feelings about my diagnosis. On the one hand, i have seen what several of my family members have had to go through with dialysis and transplants. However it doesn't feel real because I have no symptoms. I had an ultrasound recently, and seeing the cysts on screen was hard to experience. I joined this group because I wanted...
  • Izasmella

PKD and mental health

Hello all.  I'm looking to connect with others for support in helping my husband manage issues around PKD and deteriorating health.  We have been lucky to be rather symptom free, but more recently things have started to decline.  He found that his function is down to 20% and we are looking at likely needing dialysis or transplant in the next year. Since this time he has felt more fatigued and...