Green mamba venom could hold the key to treating k
- Researchers gave a peptide in the venom to mice with polycyctic kidney disease
- The disease causes fluid-filled cysts to develop which can damage the kidneys
- The results revealed that the area made up of cysts was reduced by 47 per cent
- Current drugs to treat the disease can lead to side effects such as liver damage
- But this new discovery could lead to improved therapies to treat PKD in humans
Popular Posts In This Group:
Hello everyone. I've been living with PKD for a long time. I was diagnosed as a pre teen and remained symptomless until my mid twenties. I'm nearing my mid thirties now and still in stage 1 but the size of my cysts are so debilitating. They just keep getting bigger no matter what I do. It's hard to move, period. :/ Because of my kidney function being so excellent I am just advised by my doctors...