Parkinson's Disease Support Group

Parkinson's disease is a movement disorder often characterized by muscle rigidity, tremor, a slowing of physical movement, and in extreme cases, a loss of physical movement. The primary symptoms of Parkinsons are due to excessive muscle contraction, normally caused by the insufficient formation and action of dopamine, which is produced in the dopaminergic neurons of the brain.

0 Online
0 Online

Is foot pain PD or aging?

I'm so tired of my feet really hurting and am down to very little footwear choices. I think I lean forward so much due to balance issues. Any advice? Each step is a reminder! Also, what's with the not rolling over in bed? And not getting out of a car? And so many other annoyances. I am grateful for what I can do though! Thanks.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Schells....Diseases that affect muscle and motor control, such as Parkinson's disease, can cause foot problems. I experience sharp shooting pain on the tops and sides of my feet. Very few dress shoes are comfortable for me and I find myself wearing mostly tennis shoes. A shoes that was recommended, especially if you are experiencing dystonia in your feet are Birkenstock sandles or clogs. I also have trouble rolling over in bed. The only thing I have found that helps is to grab onto my blanket and pull myself up. TeeCee
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have sharp pain in my left foot most of the time. It helps to wear sandals when at all possible. So glad you posted this. It's hard to know if aches and pains are related to PD.
firelady
firelady

Thanks to all of you for this discussion. My hubby does have dystonia in his feet and gets botox every 3 months. It helps his dystonia but he still has lots of pain in his feet. Sharp pain in bottom and sides of both feet. He has a ball that he lays down on the floor and rolls his feet on the ball. This does help some. I am glad to know that there are others with the same problem. Thank you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have tremendous foot pain on my tremor spasm side. Also have broken the foot twice. I wear a brace for foot drop. Turns out that this year I got arthritis in my foot from the breaks and the brace makes it worse. So it's not 100% pd, but the pd and the brace make it worse. I only can wear tennis shoes because of the brace that have removable insoles, are light and have a large toebox. I think I might try to find some black ones for winter :) No dress shoes for me, ever.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have much foot pain (leg, elbow, hand- you name it pain- LOL!) and I'm still pretty young. I know we do get more aches and pains as we age, but PD or other movement disorders make them worse. I complained about my feet hurting all the time, worse with shoes, to my doc the very day he diagnosed me with the 'movement disorder' and his response was foot pain was common for most people with movement disorders. Like you said, probably from our walking funny, forward (for me kinda slouched to the left) etc and then if we have dystonia too with the lovely abnormal muscle contractions too- our poor feet are in an all out foot war! ;) I've found my Requip is helping some with the overall pain, still not so well with the dystonia- but I'm at relatively light doses yet according to my doc (lol!).

Hang in there Shells!! ((hugs)) Connie
deleted_user
deleted_user

My Mom had this as well as in her leg and the Botox has completely relieved it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks to ALL who responded - you really have helped me. Thanks, guys.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I would just like to say that my dad has PD and he had been having a very sharp pain in one of his feet which had swelled up. He has a really good podiatrist and I've seen many, so a board certified one is always the best in my opinion.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Foot pain-my husband had 2 bouts with gout after taking Azilect for 2 months.. He was taking his daily med to keep uritic acid in balance at the time.
(Gout appears as swelling, redness, constant pain in the foot.)
Husband has the "tremor" type PD. Internest adjusted his meds and he has been gout free for 2 months. Neurologist said this was not a side
affect to Azilect. Anyone else on Azilect
getting the gout? ddbupper
peachybum
peachybum

eeek, i have foot pain too i wish i could walk around in bare feet all the time , never wearing shoes again.

My foot (right one) in the morning is so damn stiff. I feel i want someone to grab is and massage it into gello!

but after about 1/2 hour of walking around, it is fine, and loosens up

I do need an operation on that foot, bad bunion, im blaming that instead, not the pd.

Let you know in approx 1 month after a foot op, if it is the bunion, or indeed the pd.

Better be the bunion!!
Dirky
Dirky

Yeah,I get the occaisional really tight cramplike pain in the arches of both feet but not always at the same time,it's usually one or the other. I've read recently that Michael J Fox has really bad trouble with his feet usually first thing in the morning.
I also get my right big toe cramping too now & then,it just happens very suddenly and is very painfull.
My fingers sometimes lock whilst I'm shaving...that maybe not PD,I don't know for certain,it could be a touch of Arthritus.

Yours Truly Dirk !!:o))
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,my husband had to have toe surgery on almost ALL his toes...the surgeon said this happened because of actually trying to "grab" the floor due to balance difficulties. This created hammertoes on the two she really had to work on. She was able to cut some tendons "or something, not sure" on most of the others. This allowed them to lay down and not become hammertoes. The ones she only had to cut the tendons on were much less problematic. Wish someone (his doctor perhaps...) would have warmed us this could happen and then we could have had the tendons cut before they went into hammertoes and actually had to have "surgical" intervention. So, thought I'd throw that out. If you notice you're trying to grip the floor, keep an eye out for your toes beginning to stick up. I know it doesn't sound pleasant but you can get those tendons snipped before it goes too far. I'd like to say the surgery on his two hammertoes was a total success but he still tries to grip the floor with them. They turned down now instead of up. The good thing is they aren't interfering with his shoe choice. The ones with the tendons snipped did fine and did not seem to interfere with his walking. Take care!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get pain in the top side of my feet also. i don't have any suggestions other than propping your feet up. My neuro started me on Sinemet in feb also. Still taking the azilect? I'm still on it. Had to get rid of my truck, standard shift isn't an option any more, plus the van is much easier to get in and out of.