Ovarian Cancer Support Group

Ovarian cancer is a malignant ovarian neoplasm (an abnormal growth located on the ovaries). It is the fifth leading cause of cancer death in women and the exact cause is unknown. Join this community to get support if you or someone you know is affected by ovarian cancer. Share your story and learn from the experiences of others.

0 Online
0 Online

how were you diagnosed?

Hi

I have been in excruciating pain for a week. I had it a few months ago too. Same place, lower left abdomen. Yesterday I finally went to emergency and was there all day. three different people did the ultrasound and they were discussing it while they did it. One was a dr. the others were ultrasound techs. They couldn't decide what they were seeing. When they finally sent their report back to emerg it said I had a cyst on my ovary that had burst and that caused something, probably blood to fill the fallopian tube. They gave me morphine etc. for pain and did a pelvic exam. They seemed unsure of what was really wrong and how can they tell if the cyst has burst? I am still worried and have pain. Just hoping someone can give me advice or tell me if this sounds familiar. How do they diagnose ovarian cancer? Also I have a huge fibroid tumor - 20 cm. Thanks!

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

My first symptom was bloating. I looked 6 months pregnant. An ultrasound found the "cyst" on my left ovary. It was 20 cm. After seeing a gynecologist I was scheduled for a CT. The CT strongly suspected cancer. However, it took the surgery to confirm it.

When do you see your dr. again? I understand fully the being scared. Perhaps yours is a ruptured cyst.

Please keep us updated.
havhope
havhope

Hi again,

Thanks for answering me. This is so depressing on top of everything else. I will try to see my gyn on Monday or else I am instructed to go back to emerg to see a gyn there. I just don't understand why I have such a huge fibroid as well as a burst ovarian cyst as well as a clogged fallopian tube! I feel like the whole area is under attack. And yes I am bloated like crazy. Look like I am pregnant. The doctor doing the ultrasound kept saying it could be an ectopic pregnancy and I kept saying impossible (no sex for a long while).
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had pain in my lower back. I figured I had pulled a muscle at the gym. I toned down my workouts and over the course of one week the pain was so incredibly unbearable that driving over a slight crack in the road caused tears! I went to the ER and they did all sorts of tests, including a pelvic ultrasound. (I figured they were just nuts... the pain was in my back... why were they searching down there?!)
They told me it was a cyst and I needed to see my GYN ASAP. We decided to remove the cyst surgically and this was when my gyn realized it was more than just a cyst. That surgery turned into biopsy that led to my diagnosis.
Be diligent in your search for answers. You are your best advocate. If you feel they are not clearly answering your questions, be persistant. There is no reason for you to feel unsure about your own health. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Also, I recommend bringing someone along to your appointments (if you feel comfortable). This has ALWAYS helped me since I tend to get emotionally tripped up. I wish you all the best. And please be sure to keep us updated!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also had terrible bloating and abdominal distension. My primary sent me foe an ultraound and CA125 the same morining I went to see her. By the time she called me that afternoon she had already sent my results to a gynecoligical/oncoligist. She had me admitted to the hospital that same day and I had Ct scans and surgery 2 days later.
mykidsrock
mykidsrock

I was diagnosed when the doctor felt ovarian masses on a well-woman check. I went annually, and never missed one.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi
I had horrible abdominal pain, which seemed to be gas and was awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Two months later, the pain was worse and I went to a walk in doctor who prescribed a CT scan. I always had a few fibroids but new tumors were visible.Heordered an immediate hysterectomy and debulking and I`ve been on chemo for three years. Wishing you the best! xxxLinda
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,
I am a 9 yr survivor of Stage 3C OVCA. I was in remission for 5 1/2 yrs and then had an occurrence on a lymph node. There are MANY symptoms for OVCA---bloating, feeling full after a small meal, urinary frequency, back or leg pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, pelvic discomfort or pain, change in bowel habits, loss of appetite, persistent indigestion, gas or nausea. You need not have all the symptoms but if you have any that persist for 2-3 wks they should be checked out.
I had shortness of breath and back pain.
I would suggest you see a gynecologic oncologist to rule out an possible serious problems. It sounds like you have a lot going on.
Best of luck to you.
Sandy
deleted_user
deleted_user

When I was 19 I had a horrible pain in my stomach like you. They did tons of blood work and ultrasounds. Finally they found a mass and decided to do surgery to remove it. It took them 5 days to determine that it was cancer. They sent my tumor to 5 different places to figure out what it was. I had a very rare form of ovarian cancer. But that was 13 years ago. I have had 3 kids since then. They caught it early enough that I only had to have the one ovary and tube removed and then i did 4 months of chemo. i wish you the best of luck!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I thought I had a kidney infection and had already made an appointment to go to my doctor for it. The night before I was in so much pain - left side and lower back. My ob/gyn is my primary care physician. I decided to have my yearly exam while I was already in the office fo the kidney infection. I truely believe that this is the decision that saved my life. He found the tumor while he was doing my exam. The next day I went for an ultra sound at the hospital and during my test I could tell by the face of the technician that something was wrong. I finally asked and they indicated that they did not even see my left ovary - the tumor was the size of a softball and was covering the ovary. I took the CA125 test which showed NO indication of cancer. I went into surgery a few weeks later expecting to come out with a basic complete hysterectomy only to wake up to a cancer diagnosis. This is what changed my life forever. I woke up to a room full of people that were not supposed to be there so I knew at that point that something was terribly wrong. It took quite a while to sink in.
havhope
havhope

Thank you all very much. I am still waiting to see my gyn/obs as she is away on holiday! Not sure about going back to ER as the pain is much better now. I had it in March for four days and now again last week. The lower left area is still tender to touch but not nearly like the excruciating pain last week. Did anyone have this where the pain comes and goes? I really appreciate your sharing your stories with me. It is pretty scary.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also felt bloated a few times but thought I just ate too much. I was also very tired at times. One morning I had extreem abdominal pain i thought i would have to call 911. However, it went away in about 10 minutes.

The next day, I went in and they did an ultrasound to be safe the doc said. He did not expect a 9cm mass. A CA125 test came out normal with no indication of cancer . A CAT scan was done. One month later, I had surgery and the chance of it being cancer was 1% the surgion said, the only concern was it was liquid not solid.

I went into surgery around 10 and should of been out in 2 hours if all went well. The first thing I asked the person is what time is it. It was 5:00. That's when I knew. Well I hit the lottery (1% chance wow) just not the lottery I planned on. It originated in the fallopeen tube and went to the ovary.

We all have a story. It's nice to hear others and give support or any tips. I'm hoping the best for you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I would have the pain off and on and as it progressed it would get worse every time.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi

If you are still monitoring this, I had bloating and pain (I was pregnant at the time, about 4 months, but had been pregnant before and knew it wasn't normal pregnancy pain). An u/s showed what they thought was a cyst. A few weeks later, a more detailed u/s showed the "cyst" was actually a 15 cm solid mass and that it had bloodflow to it, which was what got them really concerned. There is a tumor marker blood test for the type of cancer I have (endodermal sinus tumor) and that came back through the roof - but they still didnt really believe that it was cancer until they did the surgery and sent the sample to a few different places since this kind of cancer is pretty rare. If you still havent been diagnosed, I would suggest you go to a high-risk OB or GYNO and get an ultrasound specifically looking at the makeup and possible bloodflow to the cyst. Cysts and ruptured cysts are very painful, but they are much more common than cancer. That said, cancerous tumors could (according to my oncologist anyway) be mixed or partially fluid filled so they too in theory could burst... my oncologist seemed surprised that mine hadnt. given its size and my level of activity.
havhope
havhope

Hi! yes I am still watching this and thank you everyone. I will find out more this Friday. I am in bed today with a very heavy period - horrible. So bloated and naseaus.