Obesity Support Group

This community is dedicated to those of us struggling with obesity. Obesity is thought to be a significant risk factor in certain health conditions, leading to increased mortality. Find the support you need by sharing your story, asking questions, and learning from others on how they have coped.

2 Online
2 Online

fat rash?

okay this might be gross and i'm sorry but does any one else get a red, like rash/ sore where there fat roll lies? what is it? and how do i stop it? I'm not dirty, i bath every day! and why does it smell so bad. It makes me feel so unsexy!. So if u know how to get rid of it or have it too, please share

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had this forever since I was fat, and still am. I always hid it and never showed the doctor. i used Balmex and that helps a lot, but it will still come back. I finally had an appointment with my doctor and I happened to have one, so he saw it and well he told me that it is like a yeast infection sort of, and that moisture gets in the spot and creates bacteria which is why it smells, and hurts and won't leave, so he gave me a prescription for a blend of yeast cream and something else. I will have to find out cause you can get the two ingredients over the counter. It works really good. i used it two months ago and have yet to have a reaccurance. Also the doc said that after showering, or getting wet to make sure to dry those areas that rash that helps too. Good luck sorry to balb your ear off.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get it bad under my boobs. The doc told me it was a heat rash/pressure rash. He said to us some baby powder on it to absorbe the moisture. Also he said to make sure it is really dry there after a shower and that you get the soap rinsed well.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is a rash from the moisture and heat that is created from the rolls of fat touching. You can add baby powder or gold bond powder to absorb the moisture. You want to keep it dry and not add any creams. I know people who used diaper rash cream and that only makes it worse. Powder without perfume works the best. The perfume can irritate it...
deleted_user
deleted_user

YES I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO KEEP IT AS DRY AS POSSIBLE.BECAUSE WHEN ITS WET YEAST BACTIERIA GROW IN THERE. THE BEST BET IS TO KEEP IT CLEAN AND DRY AND USE A CORNSTARCH BABY POWDER THATS UNSCENTED.YES THE SMELL IS AWFULL!I HAD ONE DR. TELL ME THAT IF IT GETS REALLY INFECTED TO USE AN OVER THE COUNTER YEAST INFECTION CREAM TWICE A DAY.I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've never had a rash and wondered why. I think it's because I do use powder every day and I wear cotton, which is much more absorbant than nylon. Maybe the combination will work for you, too.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi, I think many of us suffer from this problem. You are far from being alone. It is a yeast/bacteria and it thrives on moist and dark areas. Baby powders tend to make the odor worse for me. (which is just my personal experience) However, I did find an excellent product at Wal-Mart and it works great. It is called Lotormin (sorry, dont know if I spelled it correctly) but, anyway, it is in the athletes feet section and it is a powder. It works so much better than corn starch or ordinary baby powders. It has an anti-fungus and a yeast medication that prevents bacterial growth. I have also tried the Tinactin powder spray. It burns when you first spray it on your skin, but, It works like a charm. The key to keeping the odor and the rash under control is to shower daily and keep the area clean and as dry as possible. Hugs, Becky
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've experienced this. When it flares up, I first try Gold Bond medicated powder and it usually clears it up. I also use a gel powder by Monistat that works very well. There's also an anti chafing stick called Bodyglide and I found it at Livingxl.com. I'm thinking for trying it on my thighs to see if it helps. Here's the description from the website:

Bodyglide Anti-Chafing Stick with Sunscreen
Comfort for the speed of life.

Strong, effective and easy to apply, these three Bodyglide products are trusted by top athletes around the world to not let skin irritation slow them down. The Bodyglide Sun Screen Stick is two products in onethe trusted anti-blister and anti-chafing formula, plus the protection of a SPF 25 sun screen. The unique greaseless formula is also enriched with vitamin E and aloe to soothe and heal skin. Excellent for hot, humid weather. All Bodyglide products are all natural, hypoallergenic, petroleum free, water and sweat resistant, won't block pores and stay where they're applied. No animal testing. Imported. Item #X1425
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks tht was a great question! i am so glad to see i am not alone in this!!!! i use gold bond baby powder when it happens. i try not to use the regular medicated poweder cause it stings me!
deleted_user
deleted_user

HURRAY! I AM NOT ALONE! WHEEEE~I use deorderant and it stops it some. Great suggestions here and wow! What a response. Isn't it great to know we aren't the only ones?
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks every body for the great advice, and support. I am so glad i know what is going on with my body now. They gold bond is working great! and if it stops i have all kinds of other alternatives. Thanks again everyone its great to know i am not alone
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm gonna try the deoderant trick! Just right under my belly. That is my worst area. I have other rolls but that is the one that bothers me. Aren't you glad you asked? I am!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get this frequently too. Under my breasts and under the roll. I went to the DR. he said it was yeast and I could use any yeast cream (the stuff you normally insert). When I don't have the rash, I use baby powder with cornstarch all over--to keep me dry. It absorbs moisture really well. There are different kinds of rashes, so you might want to see your DR., but it looks like most of us have had some experience. You have to use the cream for 5-7 days, too. Try it, it really can't hurt anything.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i don't have a rash, but I break out kind of on my waist line- even if my pants are really loose. :(
deleted_user
deleted_user

This happens to me occasionally, also. But at the first sign of it, I get out the Gold Bond Medicated Powder and apply it to the area, and within 2-3 hours, the problem is gone. Yes, it does sting a bit sometimes, but only for a second, and I actually like that, because I use it as an indicator that I got the powder where it needs to go (for those areas hard for me to see, you all know where I'm talking about). In the past, I'd tried creams, baby powder, cornstarch powder (icky, btw), but nothing comes anywhere near working so quickly and so well as the Gold Bond powder. It was actually my doctor who advised me to try it, after telling me to NEVER use anything creme or liquid on those areas, as the first and most important step is to keep the area dry.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi you guys
The fancy name for this is "intertrigo" and it is a yeast infection (candidiasis) that occurs because of the moisture
1) keep the area DRY as much as you can
2) get an rx for a nystatin antifungal powder or a topical antifungal cream from your doc
3) after you get out of the bath or shower BLOW DRY The areas dry (under your boobs or in the folds) and then apply the meds
4) it will take 2-3 weeks to resolve...
DR O.