Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Support Group

This community is a place where members can discuss current events and weigh in on what's going on in the world.

0 Online
0 Online

Tattoos

Have any of you fine people gotten a tattoo since being diagnosed withMS? My wife wants us to get one and I'm not sure. Any one

JC

Replies

feisty
feisty

My oldest friend is a tattoo artist and I have asked him about this when it's come up i the past.

I have quite a few, but none since my DX. Here's what he told me.

1. The ink CAN react with MRI machinery for some people. Especially reds. I have never had trouble, except for some slight itching for a couple of days after the MRI.

2. The artist should tell you this, if not, find a new artist.

3. He has worked on quite a few MS patients. He said we move a bit more than the average person, make sure you let your artist know.

4. You CANNOT get a tattoo within 60 days of having any kind of steroid treatment. I'm not sure about any other meds. I only know about the steroids for sure. I would look into the chemo drugs too.

Other than that, I would do it, and I know many who have with no trouble. -Jen
deleted_user
deleted_user

i heard that some of the needle can break off the needle and the fibers can be ripped out by the MRI machine (this would obviously be a shoddy tattoo job with a lame gun though)
feisty
feisty

JR...some of the inks are actually metal based, or have metals in them. That's why they react with the MRI.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I love 'em they are like potato chips you can't get just one, then I ran out of money, All after DS. not to advanced though. I even shot in the tat.
JC1958
JC1958

Thanks for the input, fiesty- I am only on avonex. I really don't have any movement probs. Unless I find out anything that would negative I am probably going to do it.

JC
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for asking about this JC.. I was wondering about it too. I haven't gotten any since I was diagnosed (I have 5)and was curious how it would be to get another. Let us know how it goes if you decide to get one. :)
d3bears
d3bears

YES
I got one Sept 2007 on my 38th birthday. The only problem was I had it put on my ankle and my leg kept jumping so my sis n law had to hold my leg down.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for the info, Jen. That's another compelling reason for me not to get tattooed. Peace always
sunshine521
sunshine521

I keep forgetting to ask my neuro about this. I use to remember saying I was glad I never got any like I was going to because all the MRI's I have to have now.

They use to ask you about any Tats when you go for MRI's and I noticed they don't anymore. Maybe they come up with something not to effect it with so many people having them and getting MRI's.

I go see neuro next month and need to make note to ask about this, thanks for the reminder!! :)

All the best!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,
Went to my neuro today and showed her my new tattoo and she told me that people with ms should not get tats because they interefere with myelin. thought she was lieing she said no, had has several patients with it and they have had new lesions at levels consistent with tats. i laughed and then found that my reflexs at level of my tat is off and hasn't been since 1996. she said no more tats. lol
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've had MS for about 7 years. Before I was diagnosed I had gotten 2 small tattoos. Recently I have had an itch for another. I called my neurologist and he said no harm could be done by going for another tattoo. Today I sat for 3 hours and got what I wanted. I feel absolutly fine. Just FYI 4 u
deleted_user
deleted_user

I already had my tattoo when I went in for my first MRI back in April. Tattoos were on a long list of things they asked about. However, they explained that it really only pertains to really old tattoos because the ink was different and the MRI machine might mess them up. So, I don't think it'll be a problem now. Tattoos are such a personal choice. If you want one, go for it!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I got one 2 days ago. I find that I do get twitches only at the beginning before I am relaxed into it, I can usually feel them and just warn the artist.... but I have gotten 3 since my diagnosis.. and I have had no reaction.. and have had 2 MRIs since.. I still don't shoot through them because I have been told it can take the ink right out of your skin.. so the only bad part of the tattoos is limited sights.. but go for it!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have a giant tattoo covering my entire back, all up and down my spine.

MRI was fine. Newer ink does not really have a problem with MRI machines. Its mostly the older generation tattoos that this will happen with. I had no problem at all with the machines.

However, my MS symptoms started less than a year after I got my tattoo started. That is not proof of a connection but I hope it didnt make me worse. I have noticed that some of my attacks came after I had new work done on my tattoo.

I have massive amounts of ink though, all right on top of my spine. I still have good recovery between attacks, at least so far.
deleted_user
deleted_user

if tattoos can affect me.... id be dead by now. lol jk. i only have about 30% of my body that ISNT covered with tattoos, lol.