Mononucleosis Support Group

Infectious mononucleosis (also known in North America as mono, the kissing disease or Pfeiffer's disease, and more commonly known as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries) is a disease seen most commonly in adolescents and young adults, characterized by fever, sore throat and fatigue. It is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) or the cytomegalovirus (CMV). It is typically transmitted from asymptomatic individuals through saliva or blood, or by sharing a drinking glass, eating utensils, or needles. The disease is far less contagious than is commonly thought. Since the causative virus is also found in the mucus of the infected person, it can also spread through coughing or sneezing. It is estimated that 90% of adults in the...

0 Online
0 Online

Long term effects of Mono ?

Does anyone know what long term effects there may be ?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

There are some autoimmune disorders that mono can trigger. Other than that, I don't know.
deleted_user
deleted_user

DO YOU KNOW SPECIFICALLY WHAT THEY ARE,SADBELLY???
THANKS VJI
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm a new member who wonders the same thing...about long term effects.

For years, my immune system was shot. I seemed to catch anything & everything that was contagious.

So I'm interested in the same questions.
bisja
bisja

I know this was posted some time ago but thought I would say that EBV kicked off gluten intolerance in me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,

Don't quote me on this, but my doctor said something about long term Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for which there is no cure.

Brenda
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is my third time having mono. My doctors have also mentioned Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a possible long term effect.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i had mono when i was a junior in highschool, i'm 23 now and ever since then i have had sleeping problems and CFS. for a few months after i had it i would sleep a lot for like a month and then be awake alot for a couple of weeks. but it does seem like that since i've had it my strength, energy have continued to decrease and my acheyness and stiffness increase
deleted_user
deleted_user

My daughter had mono 9 years ago, my daughter has Cold Urticaria and has had it for years, i have been told this can be a lasting effect from having mono.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yeah chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and since autoimmune problems are often so individualized, I think it just depends on the person as to what (if any) that they get from this. Another possibility is chronic EBV.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm glad I'm finally figuring out which of my symptoms are from the EBV and which aren't. It turns out I have an Arnold Chiari 1 malformation so some of the symptoms overlap. I was diagnosed with fibro for years, until last year I got sicker than fibro could have ever made me. I was lucky that within weeks we found the two needles in the haystack!
deleted_user
deleted_user

My sister was just recently diagnosed with Mononucleosis last Thursday after having tests done at the Chicago Navy Base. Ever since then, BAM! the symptoms have hit her full force. I know Mono is practically a total crapshoot, but there HAS to be something we, as her family, can do to better her situation and make things somewhat comfortable for her and easier; she's coping sooo poorly. it's horrible to see after just having a tonsillectomy... She's drinking water religiously, eating warm foods, mostly salty...we have a humidifier running right by her bed. She hasn't had ANY significant sleep, at least not enough to talk about....is there ANYTHING that can be done to help her sleep situation for the better? ANY suggestions or tips, just ANYTHING would be sooo appreciated! Thank you so much! :)
Suzie80
Suzie80

I have chronic fatigue syndrome as well being susceptible to other viruses and bugs (and I work as an elementary teacher - tough!). The best way to help is not to over-commit yourself. Take as much time off from work as you can and don't sign up to anything much once you feel better. Rest is so important, a strong support network and bee pollen helped me no end. :) Stay strong. You will get better in time.