Migraine Headaches Support Group

Migraine is a neurological disease, of which the most common symptom is an intense and disabling episodic headache. Migraine headaches are usually characterized by severe pain on one or both sides of the head and are often accompanied by photophobia (hypersensitivity to light), phonophobia (hypersensitivity to sound) and nausea.

0 Online
0 Online

Relpax

Hi Friends, I awakened this morning at 2:00 a.m. with an at least 10.5 Migraine, I hate that pain sooo much. I took a Relpax and an Endocet and it helped I just wish there was a quicker and more permanent fix.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

No kidding. I do wish there were better prevention than "don't eat this" and "here, take this - makes you dizzy and spatial messed up? Oh well, so what - you don't have migraines, right?"

Relpax is a beautiful drug - it's the one I use for my level 8-10 ones. Only thing that helps those, honestly....
deleted_user
deleted_user

Topamax is a preventative. It also helps you lose weight which is just an added bonus. So ask your docs about Topamax as it does work.
shelleyaz
shelleyaz

I use Relpax too and I love it but at 2am, I would have to take 5 Ritz crackers with it and 7up (I think my doctor feels the soda will get it absorbed into my system faster). If I take that on an empty stomach I will sleep a lot the whole day.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Whats the difference between this drug Relpax and a drug like Maxalt?
I don`t think I`ve ever called a drug beautiful before.lol..
shelleyaz
shelleyaz

All I can tell you is my doctor believe that Maxalt is not as strong and doesn't always help. In my medical notes he says if I use Maxalt then follow up later with Relpax if needed.

I thought he was crazy but I do find that Maxalt doesn't always kill the migraine for good. I take the Maxalt if I am some place where I can't get to water (church) or I can't be drugged all day.
shelleyaz
shelleyaz

AngelButton,
In the migraine book it says that these abortive drugs (Relpax, Imitrex, Axert, Frova Maxalt etc.) are made to be used as soon as a migraine hits; not once it is really bad.

I had no idea except my doctor always said to take it immediately but I had no idea why. Apparently they are designed that way.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I knew the abortive drugs were as needed. Relpax is beautiful because it helps my bad ones ;)

And topamax does not make you lose weight - not everyone, anyway! LOL! I gained on that sucker. It also made me dizzy, feeling weird, etc. Yeah, it stopped the migraine - but I knew I couldn't live on it! So I used my topamax time to get all triggers out of my system - like caffeine, nitrates/nitrites, fake sugars, etc.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oh - and I have different auras for my different migraines - my more severe ones I can tell at the outset, kwim? It's a whole different beginning if it's gonna be a nasty one, or if it's a more mild one...
deleted_user
deleted_user

I tried the Topamax but unfortunatley I was one of those who really became dopey, it was actually very frightening. I am trying Verapamil now, I am thinking or maybe hoping that it may be making a tiny bit of a difference.
deleted_user
deleted_user

HI!
Soooo sorry your not feeling well. One drug I use is Topamax. It is a pill that melts under my tounge and I take to advil with it. Now I know people that has even fast ways..nose spray for one...ask your doctor.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Relpax is a very good drug for migraines but very expensive. I can't afford it so I just take tylonol 3's which rarely help.
deleted_user
deleted_user

you are talking about diet My neuro put me on an lo amino diet and it has cleared about 70% of my migrains you can google it but basic are no presertives, no sugar and some fruit and veg but there are loads of things you can eat. Also the migrains I do get now are nowhere near as bad.
here is a link for you
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Amines_list.html
Good luck and let me know if you would like me to help you