Menopause Support Group

Menopause is the physiological cessation of menstrual cycles associated with advancing age. It normally occurs in women between the ages of 45 and 55, when the body begins to slow and stop the production of eggs, estrogen and progesterone production decreases, and menstruation diminishes, eventually stopping altogether.

1 Online
1 Online

period blood

Ive been in periMENopause for a couple yrs now but now im starting to miss periods, sometimes 3 months worth. When i do have my period, the blood looks old or dirty, brownish.
Does anybody else experience this prob?? Is it normal??

Happy Turkey Day
hugs
Cathy

Replies

bmason
bmason

Mine is sometimes like that too. My last period I seemed to have a contsant flow of bright red blood for a minute or two (it may not have been that long, but it seemed like it). It was scary, didn't think I was going to stop bleeding. FUN!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ohhh The joys of womanhood. NOT!!!!!!!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

my normal periods are bright red. the last one, that lasted for 6 weeks, was kind of a dull creamy almost rose colored. it was definitely weird!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello Girlie,
I have been perimenopausal for several years now and only had l period this year and 2 last year and like you it is brown, rusty blood and only last a couple of days and can managed with a panty liner. My GYN says this is normal.
Take care and hang in there!
Maryann
deleted_user
deleted_user

What you described is very normal. Unfortunately for me I am still having the very heavy periods. Good luck, seems like the light is at the end of the tunnel for you!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've decided lately that I want to be a man instead they have it so much easier than us. Menopause sucks and makes me even more moody than the tumors side effects do. Sometimes I go for a month others for only a couple days and I skip months too. Resentally I have been put on depo and after I did that it turned my periods blood color to brown too.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes it is very normal once you start missing periods for it to look like old dried up blood... because that's what it is.
Some women describe their last few periods before menopause as looking "black as death"
Dixe4me
Dixe4me

I've had this all my life, always at the end of my period when the flow stops and the blood does not get flushed out quick enough it turns brown. This usually resolves itself in a day or two tops. Now for the first time I am doing it before I start. It's like I try to start and then can't and then a day later I start completely. This also seems to be worse in woman who do not have enough estrogen to cleanse naturally. Nothing to worry about.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This period was way diff than others. All i did was spot that brownish blood for 4-5 days. Not even enough for a tampon.

Those of us who suffer depression also, how do u know if the moodiness is depression, PMS or MENopause????
Dixe4me
Dixe4me

I've done that. Trying to start and just don't. As for the depression I would say if it lasted more than a few days you can call it depression....umm can't remember exactly but routinely depression they call it. I'm sure somone here will know what I'm talking about it. Kind of like seasonal depression.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yep, same here. They were really heavy for years, but now are much lighter and I miss one now and then.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i skip periods (have them every 2 to 3 months) and they are like you describe--old, thick, brownish blood.
sobe
sobe

so glad EVERYTHING gets discussed here! This is the second time in 4 months that I am having what appears to be a period only it's very light spotting, and dark brown. I could wear a panty liner if I want.

I had the last one like this at the beginning of November and then two weeks after that a real period and then nothing since yesterday and yesterday and today it's been that strange brown little bit again.

So this means I'm at the end of perimenopause and about to dive head first into menopause? that would be awesome!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sobe, when the blood is darkish brown in color, it is old blood. Can't say for sure, but it would seem that when the uterine lining is built up, but there is a hormonal imbalance of some sort, the blood is not shed. Instead, it just "sits in there" and gets old, until there is another hormonal shift that expels it. A friend of mine whose mom was a nurse practitioner is the one who told me that brownish blood is old. Bright red is new.