Lupus Support Group

Lupus is an auto-immune disease in which the immune system cannot distinguish between threats (like viruses and bacteria), and healthy cells and tissue. As a result, the body produces antibodies that inflict cell damage, most commonly targeting joints, skin, kidneys and the nervous system. Join the group and find support for coping with lupus.

1 Online

Chills and Sweats But No Fever?

For the past 24 hours it seems that my internal thermostat is broken! I keep breaking out in a sweat soon followed by chills. It kept me awake last night it was so severe. I would have sworn that I had a fever, but my temp was completely normal. Does anyone else have any symptoms like this? I have no idea if this is related to my Lupus or if it is something else entirely (like peri-menopause, ect)

Replies

luppychick
luppychick

Gosh - i go through this at a drop of a hat i could be waiting in a line at the supermarket or just sat watching telivison. My remmuy said it was a side effect from my Tramdol pain meds.

Ann
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for the reply! I am not on Tramadol and haven't started any meds lately except for the plaquenil and prednisone two months ago.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Have you gone through menopause yet? Those could be hot flashes. With SLE patients, sometimes we hit menopause early, sometimes late, sometimes on time.

But feeling hot and cold with no fever often is meno or peri-menopause....

Tracy
earthwalker
earthwalker

I think Tracey is on to something...I get hot/cold with a fever when flaring. I do however get the hot, hot, with no fever...my GP says I am perimenopausal and galloping towards menopause at a great rate. The last time I visited my gynaecologist the scans showed I was "dumping eggs" at a fair clip. So maybe you have a bit of a hormonal thing going on. I'd mention it at your next appointment...if you mark out the days on a calendar, you may find if it is hormonal a pattern will emerge. Hope you feel better soon.
kitty3
kitty3

I know I've experienced those sensations when I'm over tired. I may on the outside "think" I feel fine as in not yawning etc. etc., but my body is telling me it's had enough, the tank has run dry. I usually just take the clue & sleep if it's possible.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I started menopause when I was 47. Was on HRT for about 4 years. It helped. I am now 52 and was diagnosed with Lupus this past fall. Being on steriods and menopausal is no joke!! I believe you are having hot flashes, it can happen during the day, or it seems, more frequently at night. See your family doc or gyne. Take Care xox
deleted_user
deleted_user

I noticed that you're 47 yo. You may be going through perimenopause or menopause because the symptoms you describe sounds like the hot flashes that we go through during that time of "change".
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think it must be peri-menopause. Whatever it was, it is better today all the way around (have been pretty much out of commision for the past two days) I can't believe how this disease can totally knock you off your feet one day to the point where you can't get out of bed and then the next day you feel a little more like you did pre-lupus and can actually participate in life. I am thankful for every day that I get like that!
goldengirl3
goldengirl3

my gyn says for me to try black cohash to help with the hot flashes. you should know in 2 weeks whether it will work for you. it does help. good luck.
Mel1967
Mel1967

This happens to me all the time. I hate it. My rheumy told me it was a sign that my lupus was active. When it happens I cannot do the littlest thing without breaking out in a sweat. I wake up in the morning and my pj's and sheets are soaking wet, and like you I have been awaken in the middle of the night due to being too hot or having chills. My temp is always normal. My doc said this has nothing to do with possible early menopause, but has everything to do with lupus and probably some of the meds we are on could add to it.

Melissa
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have to agree with Melissa.....Not that what the others have said is not possible.....I have severe night sweats with no fever, usually more during a flare up and Im am 38 and not in peri-menopause. My clothes and sheets will be soaking wet. My rheumy also told me it is Lupus/auto-immune related. I also get extrememly HOT when I do anything physical. I start to feel sick and feel feverish. The neuro said he things there is something wrong with my internal thermostat regulation. Does anyone else get that one???
Melissa
deleted_user
deleted_user

I too go thru the same thing ever njght!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had night sweats for years. I notice a direct correlation to the sweating and the food that I eat. If I eat foods that I have been tested sensitive to, I will sweat all night long; soaking the sheets and the mattress. If I wake in the middle of the night, I will be covered in sweat, but freezing. It is very annoying!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes! I have night sweats every night. I wake up soaked at times. I am not sure if its menopause or the Lupus. I tend to think its the Lupus because of the severity. Our bodies are under such a heavy viral load plus the immune system in such an over drive that it makes sense our bodies are needing to get rid of toxins as fast as it can.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have this too, and it does always seem to be when I am trying to 'flare'. In fact, I've had a 'broken thermostat' since I was a baby. My mom says my pediatrician said that it was from nearly dying from what was known as the 'Black Measles' back in 1960. I rarely do run fever, but I notice that when I do feel this way, I have either 'normal' or below 'normal' temp. I find it very weird, and think it must be related to auto-immune disease.