Lactose Intolerance Support Group

Lactose intolerance is the condition in which lactase, an enzyme needed for proper metabolization of lactose (a constituent of milk and other dairy products), is not produced in adulthood. A hydrogen breath test is required for a clinical diagnosis. With lactose intolerance, the result of consuming lactose or a lactose-containing food is excess gas production and often diarrhea.

0 Online

Even aged cheese affects me badly

I haven't been officially diagnosed.
For months I've been suffering continual calf muscle cramps, sometimes severe. I was eating a lot of dairy: skimmed milk with breakfast, quite a lot of tea with milk during the day, and cheese at night.
I found a particularly tasty Parmesan called Bella Vitano and began eating a piece every night. After a while I found myself vomiting in the morning. Finally I realised that this happened when I ate the cheese.
I went for an allergy test and it appears that I am not allergic to cheese.
However when I stopped eating all dairy products my cramps mainly disappeared but then, I started getting over-acidity symptoms, needing to eat Maalox.
I have read comments on here that aged cheese contains little or no lactose. If that is so, why do aged cheeses now affect me really badly?
I should note that my problems have appeared as I age, when I was young or middle-aged I never had any problems.

Replies

laughingdog
laughingdog

I think this is the wrong group for me. Unfortunately there is no casein intolerance forum. That's what I appear to have :( No magic pills for me.