Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Support Group

Irritable bowel syndrome is a common intestinal disorder that is characterized by bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, cramping, and constipation. Typically no abnormalities appear during standard medical testing, and so irritable bowel syndrome is identified by the symptoms. Although irritable bowel syndrome can cause serious discomfort, the intestines are not harmed.

0 Online
0 Online

Peppermint..

tea. Does it help or makes things worse?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

i drink hot peppermint tea..it feels really good going down..there is also a mix of different teas in 1 tea bag for digestion..it feels good too..the warm drinks feel better than the cold ones.....i hope you feel better....
deleted_user
deleted_user

I sometimes use enteric coated peppermint caps. I use peppermint in my stomach because it is a muscle relaxer and with my GERD, that opens up a hearburn situation. The enteric stuff is OK for low gas. Most effective if stomach is empty.
deleted_user
deleted_user

so should i drink it only on a empty stomach?
my sister told me to boil ginger and drink it she says it helps alot. But i know ginger is gross ugghhh
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hot spices in tea such as ginger or cinnamon should be used only for people with IBS-D. IBS-C sufferers should choose teas with calming influences. My guess would be chamomile or peppermint.

Drinking hot spices encourages the body to eliminate some moisture from the stool. If you're already constipated, this will make it worse.

Calming teas will likely reduce the peristaltic motion of the muscles in the gut and reduce some discomfort.

People with constipation should drink their tea warm, but not hot. The extra heat acts the same as hot spice. People with IBS-D should drink tea as hot as they can stand it, and never drink cold drinks.
deleted_user
deleted_user

So basically I can't drink anything cold? Or else my IBS-c will act up? I really hate this i feel there is nothing that is available for me to eat. I might as well starve :(
deleted_user
deleted_user

I think you've got it backwards, Teardrop. If you have IBS-C you should avoid hot drinks and instead choose cooler ones. Lemonaide should work. You could have warm lemon, but I'd avoid hot lemon tea.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I ordered fennel off of the ibs website and it works very good for gas!
deleted_user
deleted_user

My mom is doing some selling of natural stuff - I forgot the name of it - but I asked her to look up everything she has for IBS. She called me today and said she has a whole printout...I'll share it with you when I get it. I'm not one for stuff like that...well, I wasn't, but now I'm starting to admit that it could help. I feel where you're coming from teardrop - I was looking through my cupboard this morning to try to pick something for lunch at work and left with nothing. It seems like there's nothing here I can eat without making myself sick. I know that there are plenty of foods I can have that won't harm my belly - I just don't have them here! I'm going to have to get some of that fennel stuff though...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Aything with Lemon makes me nauseas. I haven't had anything with lemon in years.
lizgirl
lizgirl

Well if you can't have lemon you probably cant have any kind of citrus. That is me right out. also I have IBS-C and I need to drink hot to warm tea. I can't stand cold drinks, my stomach freezes up. Oh, and by the way, that problem with citrus also look into food products that contain vitamin C. I have to take an allergy C tablet that isn't from citrus.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Tea, stright oil, what ever I have. It's a natural anti-neasa and anti-gas. Pepermint is really good for Acid reflux too. just a drop of the pure oil on your tounge or in a glass of water.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Peppermint tea is a natural painkiller.....so it dulls any pain you have in your intestines. Also, Chamomile calms them. I drink lots of it and strong too. I drink regular tea from time to time too. It doesn't seem to bother me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

so if i put oil on my tongue i won't get the nauseaeas feeling?
deleted_user
deleted_user

can somone please tell me what is the difference between IBS-c and IBS D

Thank you