IgA Deficiency Support Group

Selective immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency is a relatively mild genetic immunodeficiency. People with this deficiency lack immunoglobulin A (IgA), a type of antibody that protects against infections of the mucous membranes lining the mouth, airways, and digestive tract. It is the most common of the primary antibody deficiencies.

0 Online
0 Online

children with IGA deficiency

Does anyone have a child with IGA defeciency?? I don't know anyone with this other than my daughter...

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

What are her symptoms ?
Does she have Intestinal issues, can not put on weight,
chronic chest colds, lung infections, lactose issues ?
How did they discover the Iga problem ?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi there, my daughter was diagnoised with Selective IGA Deficency a little over a year ago. She is 3 years old and has had a very difficult two years. We have a lot of lung issues with asthma and broncitis. Sick all the time! I would definately like to talk with you to see what issues you have been struggeling with.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My son has IGA deficiency-- he was diagnosed about a year ago (he is 3 years old). He has intestinal issues and is sick a lot. I don't know anyone else with this either. It would be great to talk with you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

ColoC, I seen your email and would like to talk with you. My email address is
joelee@insightbb.com, if you would like to talk please email me. Nancy
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sorry it is joelee2@insightbb.com
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have a son with IgA deficiency. He is seven years old and we have been battling things for quite some time now. I am looking for someone to talk to who is maybe dealing with the same things. Would love to hear from someone. Thanks,
Shavon
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was diagnosed with IgA nephropathy--where my kidneys do not filter half the time--when I was 4 years old. Mine is a genetic case, I inherited from my father. I have been in remission since I was 12, but now at 20 years old I still suffer from minor health problems.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi
My son was diagnosed with selective IgA yesterday. He is absent of IgA. He also has autism. Anyone else with a young child?? He will be 3 March 3rd. Any tips?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with Iga deficiency when she was 15 months old and is 2 1/2 yr old now. I put her in daycare when she was 6 months old and thats when it all started. She was sick all the time. Always had an ear or sinus infection. She had tubes in her ears at 9 mos and her adenoids removed when he was 15 mos. Once she was diagnosed she was put on a low dose 250 mg amoxicillan at bedtime everyday for about 14 months. She has been off of it since Sept. 07 and has been sick requiring antibiotic 5 times in that time frame. Our immunologist says there is no cure but she could grow out of it. For now, we do not keep her in a bubble. We take here everywhere we go but we wipe buggies down with antibacterial wipes and I keep Bath & Body Work antibacterial foam in my purse and use it a lot on her hands. She also has several environmental allergies. Best of Luck to all of you with children with this. Danielle
deleted_user
deleted_user

This may be a little comforting..my son is 12 and was only diagnosed a couple of months ago. He had his first ear infection at 6 weeks of age. He had severe asthma that required him to miss over a month of school in kindergarten. He has now completed outgrown the asthma and infections. We are left right now with the food allergies and stomach problems, but it is better! At one point, he was on 5 daily meds (not for illness, just maintenance)and now he is only one. My immunologist did recommend Colostrum or Bovine IgA, which can help alleviate symptoms. Unfortunately, he cannot take it now because he is allergic to milk (changes every 6 months). Other than the stomach issues, he is happy and active, so there can be improvement.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just wanted to let you know I feel for you. I was that child with the constant illnesses. Now I'm a mother myself and still find it a struggle every day. Now that I'm older I realize it was as hard on my mother as it was on me. There's nothing worse than watching your child struggle to breathe, not able to play with friends, or have the same childhood as others.

I started getting sick at 15 months old and have a daughter who is 7 months now. I get overwhelmed every day hoping and wishing she continues to be healthy.

Keep fighting for her. She'll grow up to appreciate all your love and the sacrifices you made for her.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i've always had it. i'm 25 now.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My daughter is 9 months old and was diagnosed at 6 weeks old with and iga deficiency...
I would love to talk to other moms who share the same prognosis with their child.
I feel very alone and dont understand it very well.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My daughter was 3 in Feb and today we were told she is IgA deficient. I was quite shocked but at the same time I have known for months that something was not quite right. She started nursery last Oct and that is when it all started.She got one chest infection after the other with very high fevers of 40/41 C.She was on constant anti-biotics and it felt like my child was always ill !! At times I felt like the over protected mother too, never allowing her outside without a coat if the weather was even slightly chilly, now I am glad I was that over protected, it was the right thing to do.I was told today she will need a flu vaccine every year and a prevnar booster every 5 years or whenever needed for life.... i think it's the for life part that scared me a bit. I always hated the winter time but will hate it even more now, i will forever worry if she will get a cold virus.I will be happy to talk to anybody about this,there are obvious enough of us with this problem.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My son is 12 now and has been sick with recurrent infections, food allergies, and severe asthma since 6 weeks of age. It has gotten better! He is still IgA deficient, but the asthma is gone and infections are much better. The food allergies remain and we test every six months. People can actually start creating their own IgA spontaneously, no one knows why. Our Immunologist recommends trying colostrum or bovine IgA, extracted from the milk taken after birth, which; just like human mothers, has a high incidence of immunoglobulins. Ask your doctor about this. Also, your child should have a medic alert bracelet due to the risk of transfusion reactions (also ask your doctor about this) It can get better, but everyone is different and not enough is known about this yet.