Hypothyroidism Support Group

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

2 Online
2 Online

Tingling/Numb Fingers

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this. I have Hypothyroidism and am on Thyroxine. The past few months I have been experiencing numbness in my finger and hands, especially when I wake in the morning.
I am sure I had this once, before I was diagnosed.
Would appreciate your comments ~ Thanks xx

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Me too!! Whats up with that???
deleted_user
deleted_user

The reason I asked is because I think my thyroid is not level as the tingling in my hands stopped after I started medication of hypothyroidism.
I am feeling so lethargic and want to sleep all day. My doc has checked my levels and I am waiting for results of blood test coming back to see if this is the case.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm waiting for labs as well. Go back to DR on Monday. Let you know what I find out. Peace and Love to you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am hypothyroid, but not being treated yet. (I am waiting to see the endocrinologist next week. My TSH is 24.6 or so...)

My hands go numb and tingly ALL THE TIME. This just started in the last year along with a few of the other Hypo symptoms. Did you get your meds adjusted? Did it help? As an avid knitter, I'm really starting to get annoyed by this problem.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have been having that too! It will just come at random times, like my hand and wrist just fall asleep. Really weird. I'm taking Armour Thyroid for my hypothyroidism. My tingling started a couple of months ago (after I began Armour thyroid). I am getting bloodwork done within the next month to check my levels again. Diabetes runs in my family, so I was really afraid that I was getting diabetes.

Anyway, we should get our levels checked! Both thyroid and blood sugar!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have that now!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had the tingling in my hands and fingers for years-is it the first 3 fingers thumb,index,middle,and hands? I have thought I have carpel tunnel...now I'm not sure.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks thyroid43

I also have it on three fingers but it is the outer three fingers of both hands, and just like you was wondering if it was Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, but did not want to take it any further incase it was that :(
Dont need anymore conditons :)

Thanks for your answer everyone ~ Angel x
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am hypo and take Armour but am not fully replaced yet. I had numbness in my hands and feet and found that I had low B12 after advice from another forum to get it checked.

My B12 was within doc's range but it needs to be much higher. I take a sublingual B12 supplement that I buy online. Numbness and pins and needles have gone.

If hypo symptoms have returned then you need an increase of your meds. Many people don't feel better on thyroxine only and find that adding a little T3 makes a huge improvement.
deleted_user
deleted_user

When my alarm goes in the morning - i have extreme difficulty turning it off as my hands are numb. I have noticed recently that the tingling and numbness are not just limited to waking up - it occurs other times now too.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello Everyone. I have read that there is a link between carpol tunnel and hypothyroid. I have both. I have been to a neurologist and had my hands check and it's for sure. It started out like one girl said. I couldn't hit snooze because my hands were too numb. Or the phone would ring in the and it was like tring to pick up the reciever with rubber hands. Then my fingers started goind numb at night and waking me up, burning, it was painful. There really isn't much you can do about it. But you CAN buy hand splints that cover your wrist and lower hand ans wear them to bed. You will feel immediate relief.ps the testing for carpol tunnel is somewhat painful when they get to the part where they shove this long metal poker into your nerves and send electricity through it to measure your response. So my advice is wear the splints, and hope that it doesn't come to that.
Jonsparky
Jonsparky

Hi,
Yesterday, my hands were numb, after taking a nap. The middle, ring and pinky finger were numb. I am having shoulder pain, I wonder if it is a pinched nerve?
Jon
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ditto on the hands the hard part is that my legs started going numb last week if I sit too long (tough not to do at a desk job) I try to amek sure I get up every 45 minutes now to ensure nothing gets too numb still awaiting the Dr's thought on this also. One thing I started to do that seems to help a bit is I grabbed an all in one daily vitamin. You have to make sure you take it opposite of your meds as the iron and calcium can effect the way the levothyroxin is dispearsed into your system. So i pop the vitamin in the morning and the thyroid/blood pressure meds at night Good luck either way !