Hypothyroidism Support Group

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

1 Online

21 with Hypothyroid

I am 21 years old and have had hypothyroidism since I was 8.  It never really affected my life until I got to college; but now I feel sluggish, can't concentrate, have thinning hair and nails, have a terrible memory, and have recently had episodes of anxiety and depression.  I've also battled with anemia for the better portion of 6 years. Does anyone have any advice for a young hypothyroid patient to help feel their age?  I'm open to hear thoughts about diet, supplements, lifestyle changes, etc.  

Replies

2magicman
2magicman

When was your last blood test? It is best to stay away from fast food and prosest food. I alway make things fresh. Do not eat to much red meat. Eat lots of frutes and vegetable. Take a malty vitimem each day. If you are low on vitimem D you can take a suplement. Keep up on your blood tests you might need an adjustment. Hope you feel better soon.

Scott
energylost
energylost

Sydneylynne. the symptoms for Adrenal Fatigue are the same so do some research on that and the symptoms, talk to a doctor or naturopath, a naturopath, for sure will know how to treat you and put you back together. My first and only visit was $35.

Also, insist on having all your hormones checked (progesterone, estrogen, testosterone). If any of these are low, they could cause the depression, and your other symptoms. If these are at normal levels then you're most likely dealing with Adrenal Fatigue, like me. I got on Dr. James Wilson's Adrenal Vitamins -- I got my life back so when the symptoms return because of STRESS, I take those and begin to feel normal and can handle life again. Also, you need to be eating super healthy. Read the info he has on his website for additional info on AF.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Eddnic

Am new to this site.

heyIts great being here,have always wanted to talk to someone about my troubles and have being going all around about posting this but have being nervous but finally have decided to post this and finally its a pleasure being here be able to share my troubles with others here,,,am glad to be here again and I promise to help in any way I can too.
  • his_girl_

Terrified of the Dark

Hi, my name is Sarah, I'm 22. I'm going to cut to the chase, my boyfriend works nightshifts at a factory about an hour away from me. Usually he works from 5:30 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. Now, we just moved to a very woodsy area that I'm not familiar with. I love him with everything in me, but two months after moving here I'm still not used to it. He's lived in this area his whole life. I'm fine all day,...