Hypoparathyroidism Support Group

Hypoparathyroidism is decreased function of the parathyroid glands, leading to decreased levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH). The consequence, hypocalcemia, is a serious medical condition. This presents with tremor, tetany and, eventually, convulsions. Severe hypocalcemia, a potentially life-threatening condition, is treated as soon as possible with intravenous calcium.

0 Online

parathyroid glands not working after surgery

in feb, 13 2008 i had a total thyroidectomy and ever since my surgery my parathyroid glands have not worked.i was told that my parathyroid gland were transplanted in my neck muscles (all 4 of them) but no luck with my clacium.now i have more diagnosis than when i had been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Danyces,
I had a total thyroidectomy over 2 surgeries. I had 5 parathyroids. They yanked out 3 and compromised the bloodflow to the two remaining ones. They didn't even try to transplant them. So, I'm in the hypoparathyroid club with you. How are you doing, lately?
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • nana012

I have cancer

I had to have a lung biopsy, and I have cancer. A very rare form that doesn't have any standard treatment. There just isn't a lot of case history for this. It is epithelioid hemangio endothelioma. The cancer support group doesn't talk every day. I can understand why. I'm waiting for the oncologist to call back for an appointment, and will hear in the next few days. Who knew. Ha!
  • irishwriter

come unwind in the bp lounge

theatre and I are there already. I'm having a very berry tea with crackers, cheese and cherry tomatoes and she's having a joint with some beer and we're both on really comfy recliners on thick pile carpet. we need some help with the decor if anyone is around??