HPV Support Group

Human papillomavirus is a diverse group of DNA-based viruses that infect the skin and mucous membranes of humans. More than 100 different human papillomavirus (HPV) types have been characterized. Some HPV types cause benign skin warts, or papillomas, for which the virus family is named. HPVs associated with the development of such "common warts" are transmitted environmentally or by casual skin-to-skin contact.

0 Online

Fighting HPV Naturally

Here's some useful information about how to fight HPV naturally. The information can pertain to both high and low-risk HPV. I personally recommend Echinachea and Goldenseal as these are powerful anti-viral herbs.

Avoid cross-infection to other body parts
As with any other highly contagious virus such as athletes foot or cold viruses, common sense precautions must be taken to avoid the spreading of genital warts to other body parts. An applicator of some sort should be used and disposed of properly, followed by thorough hand washing, in applying topical solutions to genital warts, since the Human Papilloma Virus is highly contagious and spreads by skin-to-skin contact. After showering, it is recommended to pat the infected area dry with a separate towel and launder the towel without further use.

Herbal supplements
To help aid in the treatment of genital warts, there are several herbal supplements to consider. Some of these supplements have been in use for thousands of years as cures for a multitude of conditions. It is recommended that you check with your primary care physician before taking an herbal supplement to ensure compatibility with your current treatment regiment. When utilizing herbal supplements for a prolonged period of time, it is important to alternate the use of immune enhancing herbs, as the body can develop a tolerance for the herb and thus reduce its effectiveness.

Echinacea
Echinacea or coneflower is a wildflower that grows primarily in the prairies of the Midwestern United States (as far south as Texas). Native Americans have used this herb for generations for medicinal purposes, and the pharmaceutical community is beginning to understand its healing properties. Most notably, Echinacea is known for its ability to boost the immune system, which is important in the treatment of genital warts, especially in the prevention of physical signs.

Goldenseal
Another herbal medicine with Native American roots is Goldenseal. The Cherokee Indians use Goldenseal as a means to flush wounds, treat inflammation and heal skin diseases. Goldenseal is now understood for its natural antibiotic properties and can be used as a supplementary wash for genital warts, as it destroys many types of viral infections.

Astragalus
Used in Chinese herbal medicine for over 2000 years, Astragalus is known to improve the bodys ability to fight off viral and bacterial infections, such as the Human Papilloma Virus, by boosting the bodys immune system. Astragalus has been taken as a supplement by people undergoing chemotherapy to help restore their tired immune systems.

Garlic powder tablets
Once used in 1550 BC by Egyptians as an external treatment for tumors, garlic has long since been recognized for its medicinal values. Of the many benefits garlic has on the human body, it promotes the ability of white blood cells to fight infection. A natural antibiotic, garlic is effective in countering bacteria, fungus and viral conditions. Taking garlic powder tablets, as well as including garlic in your daily diet, will enable you to enjoy the antibiotic benefits of this seasoning.

Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid is used as a topical solution for dissolving genital warts. The compound is used in part as a treatment for the removal of corns and acts accordingly when applied to genital warts. Salicylic acid is not absorbed into the skin, but quickly kills the cell of the epidermis, or outer skin, without out penetrating the dermis, or true skin.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Gential Warts cannot be spread to different parts of the body that arnt already infected. I had a long talk with my doctor about this. When you were first infected and the virus was deposited this is the areas that will be infected. You cannot spread it to your legs , feet, hands, arms, face ect. You cannot contract it from using towels, shareing cups, forks ect, kissing or holding hands. Just thought id give you a heads up. Good Info...Thanks!
deleted_user
deleted_user

There are other strains of hpv that cause warts on all parts of the body (hands and feet most notably). These strains are easily contracted, especially if you have regular manicures and pedicures so it's really important that you bring your own tools to your manicurist and make sure they disinfect foot baths after each use.
Christine1976
Christine1976

right but genital warts cannot be spread to other parts of the body (like warts on your feet or hands are caused by a completely different hpv.) And touching the warts when washing in the shower etc isn't going to spread them any more "down there"...the virus is in your system and will cause warts to pop up from time to time...you can't spread it to yourself.
deleted_user
deleted_user

im not sure if you can't spread it to yourself, the virus gets in the epithelium through a cut or abrasion right, so if you scratch i warts and scratch another part of your body breaking skin....
im not sure....
but i did want to know how i should monitor these warts. my doctor said not to shave (the abrasion issue) so i used veet. but im wondering if the depilatory is just as bad?
deleted_user
deleted_user

also how would Salicylic Acid be used? like the face washes 2% or acne treatments?
deleted_user
deleted_user

i dont mean to be rude but it seems like you are getting your information out of nowhere. please post where you find your info when you post things like this so others can go and read on their own.

secondly - the information about garlic is bogus. I cook with garlic on a daily basis and yet my pap tests are still coming back abnormal all the time. so if garlic really works shouldnt my pap tests be coming back normal after 7 yrs of being abnormal ?
deleted_user
deleted_user

The information I posted was originally posted by another person and I bumped this string up because I do think the information is valuable...I'm sorry you don't see the value in it, but you take what you need from this board and move on.
Also, the other string I posted was from Dr. Orrange who is a consultant for Daily Strength. Again, the information comes from a very reliable and valid source.
I could also say the same thing about you regarding where you get your information from, but I choose to be more gracious to those who are vulnerable.
deleted_user
deleted_user

BTW, the virus that causes genital warts can be spread to other parts of the body (oral and anal) so you would be wise to follow the advice about cross contamination.
bm55
bm55

Folic acid, vitamin C are important as I have learned here.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes, anything that boosts the immune sytem (including garlic) will help reduce the viral load.
There are lots of other foods (mostly fresh fruits and vegetables) that help boost immunity and also fight off the effects that stress have on the immune system.
People seem to forget about stress, but it is very important to try to reduce stress as much as possible when building a strong immune system as well as not smoking!!
By the way, any and all of this information has been obtained from reliable sources, from people who have researched the information and were kind enough to share it here.
I have been on this board for three years now and I have learned so much from everyone who has come before me.
I am very grateful for all the information that has been shared here as well as the success stories (there are so many).
The important thing is to never give up, be patient and always, always question your doctor if something doesn't seem to make sense to you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

wachit - You can can can NOT give yourself warts from touching/scratching a genital wart then touching your mouth, or get it on your hands by touching them.
The HPV strains are completely different and well, quite honestly, I touch my warts every second day with my hands and my hands aren't full of them.
Also it is NOT recommended to use things like salicylic acid on genital/perianal warts. Salicylic acid is for ACNE and should NOT be used on genital warts. (I know you said you had cervical issues before -- maybe I just haven't read enough, but, can you tell me personal experience you've had with actual genital warts?)

I completely recommend the book "What your doctor may not tell you about HPV and Abnormal Pap Smears" written by Joel Palefsky, M.D to everyone, especially people giving out false information.
You will learn ALOT.
deleted_user
deleted_user

HPV is highly contagious through skin to skin contact. Have any kind of contact with someone else who has HPV, then you can potentially get any one of over a hundred strains anywhere on and in your body through simple skin to skin contact.
Also, I realize you are new to this board, so I would ask you to please be more gracious when you are posting.
Many vulnerable people post here and no one should feel the need to justify what they have posted just to prove their personal knowledge of having HPV.
All the informational threads were started here long before I came here three years ago and proved very helpful to me and other posters.
If you find that it does not apply to you, then please move on and don't pass judgment!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

wachit - I wasn't saying it in any tone other then an informative one.
You can't get warts on your hands from touching warts of the genital strain. It's impossible. My vagina with someones penis, YES it can be contracted. My hands on a penis with warts? 100% unlikely.
deleted_user
deleted_user

just for your information :)

(sent to me by a clinical sexologist -- so i respect the information to be correct.)

Some HPV infections can cause warts (verrucae), which are noncancerous skin growths. Infection with these types of HPV causes a rapid growth of cells on the outer layer of the skin.[43] Types of warts include:

Common warts: Some "cutaneous" HPV types, such as HPV-1 and HPV-2,[citation needed] cause common skin warts. Common warts are often found on the hands and feet, but can also occur in other areas, such as the elbows or knees. Common warts have a characteristic cauliflower-like surface and are typically slightly raised above the surrounding skin. Cutaneous HPV types can cause genital warts but are not associated with the development of cancer.
Plantar warts are found on the soles of the feet. Plantar warts grow inward, generally causing pain when walking.
Subungual or periungual warts form under the fingernail (subungual), around the fingernail or on the cuticle (periungual). They may be more difficult to treat than warts in other locations.[44]
Flat warts: Flat warts are most commonly found on the arms, face or forehead. Like common warts, flat warts occur most frequently in children and teens. In people with normal immune function, flat warts are not associated with the development of cancer.[45]
Genital warts are quite contagious, while common, flat, and plantar warts are much less likely to spread from person to person.

[edit] Genital warts
Genital or anal warts (condylomata acuminata or venereal warts) are the most easily recognized sign of genital HPV infection. Although a wide variety of HPV types can cause genital warts, types 6 and 11 account for about 90% of all cases.[46][47]

Most people who acquire genital wart-associated HPV types clear the infection rapidly without ever developing warts or any other symptoms. People may transmit the virus to others even if they do not display overt symptoms of infection.

HPV types that tend to cause genital warts are not those that cause cervical cancer.[1] However, since an individual can be infected with multiple types of HPV, the presence of warts does not rule out the possibility of high-risk types of the virus also being present.

The types of HPV that cause genital warts are usually different from the types that cause warts on other parts of the body, such as the hands or inner thighs.
Christine1976
Christine1976

I have to say that even before wachit responded to your post I thought it sounded pretty rude. Even if you hadn't intended it to something about the way you worded it made it come across such.