High Blood Pressure Support Group

Hypertension or high blood pressure is a medical condition wherein the blood pressure is chronically elevated. Persistent hypertension is one of the risk factors for strokes, heart attacks, heart failure and arterial aneurysm, and is a leading cause of chronic renal failure. Doctors recommend weight loss and regular exercise as the first steps in treating mild to moderate hypertension.

0 Online

How to figure out what is causing my high BP

Hello all! I am new to this site and am desperately looking for advice. My blood pressure seems to fluctuate between 140/80 - 145/90. I am trying to figure out what is causing this. a little about me:
43 Yr old Male
6 ft tall, 204 lbs
All blood work normal except Triglycerides, which are at 218 mg/dL.
I eat a low carb diet, high in protein, not low in saturated fat however, but try to eat leaner meats and chicken. I eat alot of vegetables, and one or two pieces of fruit a day.
I started exercising 2-3 times per week about 4 weeks ago. 2 days weight training and 2 days aerobic exercise.
I do not eat sweets, except for a cheat day, and dark chocolate a few times a week.
I get about 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
I drink one to two 12 oz cups of coffee a day.
I drink about 2 750 ml bottles of alcohol on weekends.

Given this information, just looking at what can be causing my elevated BP. Do I need more time exercising since it has only been a month? Should I change my diet or anything else? My doctor says to cut down on fats and cholesterol and get exercise. Other than that, she has not said much.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I can answer questions if needed. Thank you all!

Replies

aramirez626
aramirez626

Once more indicator I forgot to add: My glucose is high, about 101 mg/dL.
Anxietystinks
Anxietystinks

That's not very high I wouldn't stress too much about it.
penntucky
penntucky

Weight lifting is actually bad for the heart...brisk walking might be better.

My blood pressure can go to 150/90---once its high it seems like its impossible to get it down.

good luck.
jmercado
jmercado

at 140 I would check with a cardiologist the health of my heart with an ecocardiogram. I suggest you should avoid read meat and salt for some weeks and check the BP again.