Hepatitis C Support Group

Hepatitis C is a blood-borne viral disease which can cause liver inflammation, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer. The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact with an infected person's blood. Many people with HCV infection have no symptoms and are unaware of the need to seek treatment. Hepatitis C infects an estimated 150-200 million people worldwide.

1 Online
1 Online

Triglycerides and Cholesterol

Background, 40 weeks of triple with Vic, got SVR status 10 days ago

I went for a regular blood test a few days ago, and for the first time ever my triglycerides (TG) are high. Two years ago, before any treatment it was 50. Last year during treatment it was 121 (still normal), now it's 189 (high). Cholesterol didn't change

A little research and I find out that high TG are linked to weight and lack of exercise and that could certainly explain the increase. But when i read further it said that Protease Inhibitors (and that's what Victrelis and Incivek are) also raise TG and cholesterol

Anyone else seeming any changes in these tests

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/37/7/959.full

joe

Replies

ImKramer
ImKramer

Mine were stellar before treatment but elevated after SOC. I think it's mostly due to the joint problems cause by Interferon and the effect the reduction of activity has had on my metabolism. That's just my unscientific feeling on it
deleted_user
deleted_user

http://www.joybauer.com/high-triglycerides.aspx

Re: foods to lower tg. I should ask to get my cholesterol checked next time.
joemz20
joemz20

from what i can tell triglycerides are fatty thingies that are formed when your body takes in more fat than it can consume. the process is supposed to be that when your body needs more fat, it uses the TG as a source of it. If you never do anything, like exercise, or you eat way too much fat, the TG level goes up and the body never draws it down

Now, name a group of people that might eat a lot of fat, and not do a lot of movement?

hummm
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ummm...taking a shot in the dark here joe- Americans?
joemz20
joemz20

Kat, good answer, but I was thinking of people on treatment

I like your answer, it made me laugh
ImKramer
ImKramer

Yes Joe that is what I was thinking. I used to bike, in line skate, hike, gym 3 times a week and physical work full time until SOC in 2010. Now I still E-bike, hobble and gym has become a real challenge. Work is reduced to half load. No just were am I supposed to get rid of the calories? I eat healthy but have a good appetite and have given up so much other pleasures in life.
I have reassessed my fat intake and have cut back on that and it has helped. Problem is one's body converts any "energy" to fat if it is not used right away.
I wish my bank was so efficient with my money ...lol
Trissa01
Trissa01

HCV jerks them around, too. I've always had low "bad" cholesterol till Dragon started wreaking havoc. Noticed my "good" going down and the "bad" going up.
Always a BMI under 21, active, good diet. Its the freakin' virus.
Trissa01
Trissa01

>chronic HCV infection may not only alter lipid metabolism, but also affect insulin resistance..<
Good article @
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hep.23393/pdf

Hepatitis C Virus Infection, Lipids, and Coronary Heart Disease: a Pandoras Box