Healthy Eating Support Group

This community is a forum for people who are determined to improve their eating habits for health, personal wellness and other reasons. What you eat can have a dramatic impact on your life expectancy, your mood, your physical and mental well-being and much more. Share your experience eating healthy, get advice and find others who have similar goals.

0 Online
0 Online

Avoid Bananas?

I'm trying to lose body fat and get fit. My mom said that bananas are more fattening so when eating fruit, I should avoid them. Is she right?

They're my favorite.. =\

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

there are different kinds of fat. Avocados are high in fat, but you should eat them rather than a candy bar.

You need to find a website or a book that will give you the nutritional info on your foods. there are a lot of factors to decide how you want to eat when "dieting"
deleted_user
deleted_user

They aren't really more fattening, but they are more carby/starchy.

1 medium banana, counts as 2 fruits.

A 7inch banana has about 110 calories, 1g of fat, 28 carbs, 3g fiber.

A medium apple has about 81 calories, 0 fat, 21 carbs and 4g fiber.

A cup of melon has about 60 calories, 0 fat, 16g carbs and 1g fiber.

A normal slice of plain white bread has about 70 calories, 1g fat, 15 carbs and 1g fiber.

A whole green skin avocado has about 489 calories, 47g fat, 22 carbs and 15g fiber.

A whole black skinned avocado has about 279 calories, 27g fat, 13g carbs and 9g fiber.

I say, eat what you want if it fits into your lifestyle plan of eating. Everything in moderation. If you eat a banana, don't eat any more fruit for the day or keep track of your other carbs.
deleted_user
deleted_user

calorieking.com has a list of foods with their nutritional content