GOYA Community Group

A group focused on motivating all members to GOYA= "Get off Your A@#'s" and exercise to help maintain a spiritually fit body and mind.. All are welcome regardless of ones affiliation, however the emphasis is on motivation and education in regards to exercise and nutrition. Have fun and GOYA!

0 Online

Kayaking & Kettlebells

I haven't been posting much lately. I had to cut way back on my kettle bell workouts because my back, hip and knee have been killing me for the last couple of months. I've still been working out some but I dropped down from the 50 pound bell to my 35. I also cut way back on the amount of reps I was doing. I've also been spending a lot of time on the foam roller and doing stretches. Last week was the worst and for about three days I could just barely walk and I started to get really depressed. It's been a while since I have felt that way and I didn't care for it at all. I started thinking that maybe it just wasn't worth it to try and be in shape and was thinking about just giving it up. I had worked my butt off to get to where I was at and I felt like my hard earned gains were just going down the tubes because I could't work out like I thought I should be.

Toward the end of the week I started feeling a little better so Saturday I got the new kayak out and paddled about 6 miles. After I got home I decided to see how much strength I had loss and I got out the 50 pound bell and tested myself with clean and presses and snatches. I had done the same thing a few weeks before I cut back on my workouts. Instead of being able to do fewer reps I actually was able to do quite a few more. A light bulb went off in my brain and I decided that I had been over training before and that's probably why I had been having so much trouble. I mentioned that to my wife and in her loving way with words she said "duh!" So I'm going to stick with this reduced workout and be happy with where I am at rather than be some maniac that doesn't know when to quit. My back and hip are almost back to normal. My knee is still kind of iffy but I can live with that.

My new kayak is great. It weighs 60 pounds more than my old one but is easier to paddle and handles way better in the wind. Can't wait to try out the sailing kit on it but the water needs to warm up because I'm sure I'll be turning it upside down a few times. My new avatar is a picture I took out on the lake Saturday.

Replies

Group FounderRick8
Rick8

Great Pic Mando- your living the dream. Did kettle bells today
onetoomany
onetoomany

Very nice Mando
onetoomany
onetoomany

Oh I forgot to post what I did.
A very intense weight workout then some fun Zumba!
LLB2
LLB2

Kettle bells aside, if you can kayak 6 miles, that's a pretty good workout. But I'm glad you're feeling better.

For me, it was an hour of riding a horse. Practiced two dressage tests for an upcoming show on Memorial Day weekend. Got to use a lot of muscles that I never get to use otherwise, so I'm walking funny. But it was all good stuff.