GERD & Heartburn Support Group

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus. This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. If you are afflicted with GERD or heartburn, join the group and find support.

1 Online
1 Online

Probiotics and PPI's?

Does anybody take probiotics in addition to PPI's? I'm currently on Nexium 30mg, but I'm considering taking a probiotic as well.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I eat yogurt evereyday, Go for it, probably help you
Sue825
Sue825

Yes, I eat yogurt every day, and I also take a probiotic capsule. It is supposed to help our immune systems, and since I also have COPD, I need all the immunity I can get.
deleted_user
deleted_user

It is a very good idea to take a probiotic, but beware--the acid in our systems, that we are suppressing with PPI's, serve to limit the growth of bacteria in our guts. When they get out of control we start to have increased gas and bloating. Usually this get treated at intervals with antibiotics. Then we need to take acidophilus to re-establish a healthy balance again. I don't like taking pharma AB's so I take garlic or ginger capsules daily to control bacteria overgrowth. My doctor doesn't believe in this, but believe me ginger with sushi isn't just for cleansing the palette.