Gastritis Support Group

Gastritis is a medical term for inflammation of the lining of the stomach. It means that white blood cells move into the wall of the stomach as a response to some type of injury. Gastritis has many underlying causes, from infection with the bacterium H. pylori, bile reflux, or excessive consumption of alcohol or certain foods or drugs like aspirin.

1 Online
1 Online

Vegetarian Cheese

Amoung hundres of things i wont bore you with listing, cheese is a real craving for me at the minute, i desperatly need something to eat with wholemeal tortillas as they seem to sit pretty well with me but i find them more than boring to eat on there own and dont know of any spreads ect that i'd be ok using either.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Have you tried any of the soft cheese spread? I have a tesco extra light cheese spread in the fridge which only has 1g of fat per serving. Planning of having some stuffed in some chicken for dinner and hope its ok. Had an awful night of pain last night so really don't want to kick anything off today.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Darbs, i did once actually when i was first ill,but to honest i didnt try it again because i wasnt sure if it was the cheese or what ever i ate it on that gave the problems. I cant even remember what i would've had it on, surley a slice of bread, pitta or a cracker of some sort.
deleted_user
deleted_user

For the third time, ever so far between, I have finished my daughters bowl of Chicken Flavoured Super Noodles, and they dont give any more pain than than the foods do that sit relativeley well!!! Arnt they full of crap? lol. Weird! I also managed to buy some salt free crackers, in fact they seem to be free from everything, they dont taste very nice, but food is food at the mo i guess, anywho, maybe them on they own would've been ok, however, i went and bought some low fat low salt cheese slices things from the same health food shop and had a slice in between two of the crackers.... the outcome was not good..:( Ho-hum
soretum
soretum

it might be the crackers. when trying anything new, only try one new ingredient at a time otherwise your left guessing and could be eliminating a food you can eat. I know in the early stages I had four reactions to rice. I will try again soon as on reflection it could have been some of the other vegies I have since removed from my diet. trial and error but only one thing at a time to know for sure.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yeah i kinda thought about that afterwards that i should've just had one cracker, but its soooooooo dry!!!
Will try one tomorrow on its own and see how it goes.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was told goat cheese is okay, but have yet to try it. You may want to consider it. Supposed to sit easier on the GI tract.
deleted_user
deleted_user

eah i've heard that, guess i'll have to give it ago. If you ever looked inside my fridge, you'd think i was crazy, i think theres just about every cheese known to man in there that i keep buying thinking "surley this one will be ok" lol. Its shocking.
By the way, this is me, up in a little pain at half 3 am.
Yawn.
GwenY
GwenY

Know what you mean harveyswife about up at 3am and yawn - do that regularly - totally unbeknowns to hubby snoring away of course. I always find a glass of milk helpful - don't know why but my tum likes it. Goat's cheese is really gentle on the stomach, I keep it in. I take it a strong blue smelly cheese is off the menu at the mo !!!!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Seems to me that all cheese is off the menu for me at the, i've bought my last resort today, which in fact is Goats cheese. Gonna give it a go later. What do you eat yours on?
And i know what you mean about the hubby thing, blissfully unawawre! lol.
I'm not sure if milk sits well with me either, in general i dont drink it anyway, but about 3 weeks ago i had a small bowl of bran flakes and was in agony afterwards so i've steered clear, cant say if it was the milk or cereal though.
Also got myself some Tetleys Green Tea today, have you tried it? I probrably wont like it, just really want a hot drink that i can stomach.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I find goat cheese to be easy on the belly..but then again, for some reason, there are not many cheeses that do bother me. Hope you can find one that works for you soon.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Right, had the goats cheese, only a smidgen though on some tortilla bread with a tiny bit of shreaded lettuce and wacked it in the George Forman for a min. Tasted nice, but i do have some pain now, as i would've done whatever i'd have eaten. Nothing excessive though.
I got a letter through the post today for an appointment at the hospital this Tuesday for a CT Abdoman with contrast. Its news to me, i'm guessigthe ultra sound isnt showing enough for them to make a diagnosis? who knows? Anyway, hopefully it'll tell them what they need to know to get me sorted.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Nope maybe not! I'm in a bit more pain now ! Bloody hell, you just cant win. I'm half tempted to go buy a pack of Skittles for an energy boost! lol. Arrrrgggghhh.
I know it wernt the tortila cause i've eaten loads of them since i been ill. Have had lettuce a few times aswell and didnt notice any agrivation. Its the dreaded cheese again aint it? But i literally put like the thinest, lamest little it on one side o half a tortilla! Could it be what Ravenfish was saying earlier about food combinations?
deleted_user
deleted_user

What type of tortilla are you eating? I stick to white flour. Watch your fiber. My doctor and health providers all recommended 2 or less grams of dietary fiber for awhile-because your stomach is stripped raw. (As was my colon). Raw veggies, even lettuce, I would avoid. In fact, anything raw or with a skin- caution highly advised. The goat cheese I haven't worked up the courage for, but if you are having issues, stick the the basics for awhile and take a few weeks off. Supplement with calcium in another form instead. Don't plan things like meals, instead look at it like individual components that you eat. I mix applesauce and cereal. Potatoes and chicken. Fish and peas. Or even just one thing and not the other. Gentle is key. The more soft and cooked the better to digest. You'll figure it out in time and until then, start with what you know works and when you do add something in, start REALLY small. Then try over 3 days to see if you get pain. If you do, pull it from the list. But only one thing at a time, so you know what the issue is.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have only eaten wholemeal tortillas, in fact all bread type things i've been eating are wholemeal and i have been wondering if thats what alot of my problem might be, too much wheat. ause i'm trying to stick to small things i find its always got wheat involved in it some way. Thought white bread woudl sit heavier!
I am struggling with this whole diet thing, i really am, but i will try as you suggest.
When you says peas, do you mean as in green garden peas? I do love peas! lol.
Thanks Raven
soretum
soretum

i would love to eat a tasty piece of grain bread, toasted with lashings of butter and slices of vine ripened tomatoes. Then I wake up and have a crumpet with butter and honey. LOL.
Yeah keep your grains white for now. Healthy and digestible are different things now.
I know we can't eat legumes (snow peas) I stopped eating peas as I thought they might be the same as they are the inside of the pod. Any thoughts welcome.