Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group

Gastric bypass (GBP) is any of a group of similar operative procedures used to treat morbid obesity, a condition which arises from severe accumulation of excess weight in the form of fatty tissue, and the health problems ("co-morbidities") which result. If you are considering gastric bypass or have had it, join the community where we share our experiences and find support.

1 Online
1 Online

diet soda?

What have your doctors said about drinking diet soda? I used to drink alot of soda before surgery but will not anymore, but I have drank all the water and unsweet tea I can stand, I would like a little variety. Do any of you guys drink an occasional diet soda?

Jason

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had one since my surgery 5 months ago, and believe me it wasn't worth it. The carbonation causes awful gas pains. Took me 3 days to drink and it really wasn't worth the effort.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've heard it suggested to open the can and let it sit in the fridge for a day to let it go completely flat, then drink it.

K2O isn't bad and has 5 grams protein per packet with very few calories. Some people swear by Crystal Lite, which I've started to test (didn't like the first flavor I tried, but there are several more to go).

Good luck - hope you find something that works for you!
deleted_user
deleted_user

No way the carbonation in the soda made me feel horrible. I would not make that mistake again!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

i think it depends on the person, but i was told the same thing about letting it sit for a day or so. i have had a few small sips here and there and it doesn't bother me to much, no gas!! see how you react to it in small sips and go from there.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have a can every so often. I do let it go flat. It also cures my craving for sweets!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Every once in a while I will take a few small sips of a can and give the rest to my family. I am really afraid of the gas pains so I tend to stay away. I do drink crystal lite lemonade and unsweet tea alot. Good Luck...Danyelle
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was missing soda a little bit but a few months ago I found at walgreens wryler's sugar free drink packets you can add to water. They taste better than crystal light and actually taste like you are drinking a fruit drink. The flavors I found are mixed berry, kiwi-strawberry, orange and pink lemonade. Also Arizona tea comes in sugarfree and tastes great along with Lipton's sugar free tea flavored with citrus and berry flavors.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am 2 years out of surgey and i still can not have soda it's totally not worth the pains afterward . But i guess you have to try it for yourself to see how it is . No one that i know who has had it can handle soda .
CindyLS
CindyLS

Be careful with carbonated drinks. Too much carbonation can stretch your pouch.
deleted_user
deleted_user

You know, I read the other replies about how carbonate will gas you up, though when I've tried it a few times, and I'd sipped on can of diet pop a few times, I've had minor gas problems, and none that were painful at all. Just minor air pockets that work themselves up and out, but it wasn't painful at all for me. I simply won't do it often because the carbonation can stretch the pouch and I so do not want to deal with that. I allow myself one here and there so I don't feel deprived, and I usually only manage to drink half a can in the first place, if I'm doing good. Most times I don't even get half a one down. Just am satisfied after half a dozen sips usually. It's a test the waters thing, though I don't recommend drinking it on a routine basis cuz we got the nice small pouch to help us stay full longer and easier, and it's not worth enjoying tons of pop and stretching that pouch when there's tons and tons of sugar free drinks. I'm into Wylers kool-aid drink mixes now. The one our Walmart has, has Lemonade, Pink Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade. I go in jags though with my drinks, for a while I'll be into one thing, like for a while it was Lipton Diet Peach Tea, then suddenly I got sick of that and moved on to Cherry SF Kool-Aid and now it's Wyler's SF drink mixes. If you get lucky, you'll go into drink jags like I do and get tons of one and love it for a few weeks before starting on something else. Seems to keep me satisfied. Dunno why. I drink lots of stuff, occassional Gatorade, SF Kool-Aid, SF Wyler's Kool-Aid, Lipton Diet Peach Tea, water that comes out of my PUR water pitcher that allows me to put shots of fruit flavors in it...right now I'm doing strawberry, but I've done others they have too and love it, occassional V8-VFusion, tea, I did coffee in the mornings for a while but was having recurrent nightmares and when I cut the coffee out, for whatever reason, the nightmares have quit! Dunno what tie it has, but coffee does bad things to me mentally. There's TONS of SF options...try a grocery store or Walmart for some ideas. That's what I do, just roam the Kool-Aid section and see what I find. Now, if they made Orange and Lime Kool-Aid SF I'd be in heaven!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am almost 6 wk post op and have found that with the sugar free sodas I have no problem if i let them go flat. I get the flavor without the gas. Of course my doc would have a fit if I told him so I don't.
Estelle64
Estelle64

I have heard that it is hard on the new pouch and cause gas bubbles that hurt. Sorry I am not a soda drinker but I love my coffee so going to decaf was hard but I still drink the full stuff. Good luck hope you get your answers. Take Care Estelle
deleted_user
deleted_user

diet sodas iike diet coke and what not can indice food cravings. and they do cause weight gain. i would say if you want a flavored carbonated drink, drink CASCADA crystal water.
it is really good. its pure. i personally have to let it sit out for hours to be able to drink it.
but it is really good there is like
strawberry, black cherry, mango, peach and a bunch of differnt flavors.
deleted_user
deleted_user

cant drink even a sip,the carbonation kills me!! and to let it go flat would be yuk,to me,so I just drink water or sf tropicanna lemonade once in a while,sherry
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am two years out and can drink diet soda. It's weird, but once I get past the first burp, the rest goes down easily. BUT! I have stopped drinking it, only very occasionally, because it promotes weight gain. Try different flavors of the WalMart sugar free tubes that you put in bottled water. Crystalite has raspberry lemonade that is very good. I also LOVE 8th Continent light chocolate soy milk. MMMMMMM!! And it has protein and omega 3's that are good for you! Try it!