Food Allergies Support Group

A food allergy is hypersensitivity to food, leading to various types of gastrointestinal complaints. It occurs mainly, but not exclusively, in children. It is a common type of allergy, and is usually treated with an exclusion diet. The allergy typically presents with skin symptoms, throat tightness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness and/or stomach symptoms.

0 Online
0 Online

Scotch liquor allergy - itching

I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 2 single malt scotch whisky a couple weeks back. Poured myself a 2oz drink and about 15 minutes later I was itching all over. I didn't have any obvious red marks, but my skin was crawling. I drank it again 2 more times several days apart to verify my findings.

I know I have an allergy to yeast, barley, and corn which I suspect are used to make the drink. I was able to drink Johnnie Walker Black label (blended whisky) without issue if I remember correctly. I can drink rum, armagnac, congnac, etc which are typically made from cane sugar and grapes (brandy)respectively.

Anyone else have any experience like that?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Suspect you are victim of additives. The distillers deny that they add them, but often do - so keep a Black list of those that affect you. I have classic case of same in old book. Am off to hosp. for eye surgery tomorrow, but let me know next week, & I'll tell you about it. Take care, JaneD.