Food Addiction Support Group

An individual suffering from a food addiction disorder frequently experiences episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binging, during which they may feel frenzied or out of control. They will eat much more quickly than is normal, and continue to eat even past the point of being uncomfortably full. Binging in this way is generally followed by a period of intense guilt feelings and depression.

0 Online
0 Online

OA or FA?

Does anyone know the difference between Overeaters Anonymous (OA) and Food Addicts (in recovery) Anonymous (FA)? I have been thinking for a while now that it's past time for me to look into something like OA; and then I discovered FA meetings in my community as well.

Are they similar? Does anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks!
:-)

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I hope I am correct in what I think but OA asks you to have a desire to stop eating compulsively and during meetings there does not seem to be alot of talk about eating certain foods that keep you in the disease as they put it. You have your own food plan and it's more just not eating compulsively. Food Addicts I think is a little more restrictive where I think they talk much about not eating certain foods that cause a chain reaction in the body to keep you in the disease. I think this is right, I've looked into both, but in my area there is not a group that has alot of recovery in it, so I do not go anymore. My bad
deleted_user
deleted_user

I never even heard of FA...I hope you get more replies cause I was gonna post asking people about OA and their experiences today! Thanks for posting :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

OA is different in different areas and even different from meeting to meeting. I was involved for many years and it was very helpful. I have been considering going back but have moved and I am worried about what meetings are in this area. Some OA meetings are very strict with "no flour, no sugar" products. Some are so restrictive you have to follow a very specific meal plan and talk to your sponsor after each meal. Other meetings (the ones i attended) are much less restrictive and focus on compulsive eating, the 12 steps, recovery and sharing. I found these experiences to be absolutely incredible. I lost 90lbs and have kept it off for 10yrs. Now the lbs are creeping back up and im starting to feel out of control and considering going back. The program gave me invaluable tools to deal with my addiction and compulsive eating. it is not perfect, but it works. i know nothing about FA and i have never heard of it.
kellygrn
kellygrn

There is a diet that goes with OA. I have a copy if some one wants a copy. It is rather strict.
deleted_user
deleted_user

OA is more like AA. It's a 12 step program and you talk about recovery etc.

FA is very restrictive and you have to go to 3 meetings a week and you have to talk to your sponsor every morning to tell him/her what you will be eating for the day (no carbs and very little protein). My girlfriend started going bald due to lack of protein. It's like 800 calories a day and 4 oz of protein. If you have a slip, you have to start over and are chastised really bad. There is no grace. They are really tough. After 90 days of perfection, you may speak at a meeting if invited to do so. Some people like this strict thing and checking in with a general every day. Also, if you want to have stringbeans instead of squash for lunch you have to get in touch with your sponsor and get permission to deviate from your planned food. I would go nuts with FA!
diddley
diddley

Wow, I did not realise that these meetings were so strict, sounds a bit severe to me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have also heard TOPS(Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is amazing. I have a friend who was 300lbs overweight and is now 160lbs! He speaks all over the country about the program now. It seems like a smart and supportive group.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I went to an OA meeting many years ago...I was freaked at the meeting because of some of the stories I heard about what people did and ate. The meeting I was at you could mention food and they did not want you to eat anything white.
kellygrn
kellygrn

The white food thing is because the more something is processed, the whiter it is.

It is a way to an end.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Can someone tell me the diet that they use for FA? I know it is No Flour No Sugar
deleted_user
deleted_user

I lost all my extra weight, weighing my food in OA years ago, only to gain it back - what I missed at my meeting were positive examples of success and a strong comitment of community support. That's just me. About 4 years agao, I started with FA, and was able to arrest both binging and bulemia. The program is very relational, and was a great place for me to learn how to rebuild better practices from the ground up. I look forward to hearing/learning from folks who are clean and sober from the foodat meetings that are clear headed and learning how to apply the 12 steps . I hear from my other fellows who are struggling on phone calls. About a year and a half ago, grain/starch was added to the weight loss food plan, and people were encouraged to slow down the loss to maintain health. Though there is a basic food plan and strongly suggested practices for recovery from addiction, not just losing or gaining weight, each sponsor is unique in their delivery. I think it's impoortant to remember that these 12 step groups are just imperfect people helping imperfect eachother to gain recovery while on the road to recovery themselves. Though I really needed the structure during my first three years, I don't feel I need the intensity of the full program at this time, and my sponsor is working with me about that. I know, after doing the yo-yo for over forty years, that as much as I'd like to think I have "got this licked", I may benefit from continued accountability and support from a comitted sponsor. It is grand to have maintained my normal body weight for 3 1/2 years, to be restoring relationships, and be showing up for the dreams and goals that had been smothered by my obsessions with food. For me, the simplicity and clarity of the program requirements, coupled with a healthy food plan which quaranteed success while I was getting my bearings on how to live differently, was truly a godsend..
deleted_user
deleted_user

There is also another program called EDA eating disorders anonymous, but meetings seem to be sparse. Great program though, I preferred it over OA.
mrslovingme
mrslovingme

I am currently a FA member and we work the 12 steps like OA but we abstain from flour and sugar. You also have a sponsor throughout your entire program ( I heard in OA you eventually stop having a sponsor) Sometimes I feel FA is too restrictive but the weight is coming off. I have yet to still get my 90 days I have been in program for 6mo but if you overeat even by a bite of something its a break and you have to start from day 1. So after bbreaking over the holidays I restarted from Day 1 and Im on day 10 of FA. A typical food plan consist of BREAKFAST: 8oz plain yogurt, 1 oz plain oatmeal, and 6 oz fruit..... LUNCH: 4oz protein, 6 oz fruit, 6 oz cooked veggie....DINNER: 4 oz protein, 8 oz salad (2oz lettuce + 6 oz of any raw veggies), and 6 oz cooked veggies...no fruit for dinner.
Getingstronger
Getingstronger

When I was in OA, many of the people there refrained from eating flour and sugar, also. OA has the Grey Sheet program, which is restrictive, also. As a matter of fact, years ago grey sheet members split from OA.
Grey sheet is Breakfast: 1 protein, if fruit, coffee or tea. Lunch: 1 protein, 2 or 3 veggies. Dinner: 1 protein, 1 veggie, 1 fruit. Water, coffee or tea to drink, or diet cola. I stayed away from soft drinks. They, too, for me are addictive. I also added a fruit in mid-afternoon if I wanted it. I didn't have a sponsor, I just did it myself. I did stop going to meetings, but I followed the plan for a long time. I have managed to keep my weight within 5 pounds of my goal, for the most part. But I have to be always aware of what I am eating.
alexisoa
alexisoa

I've only heard of OA and we don't have that many groups where I live, which is why I looked for stuff on the net.

To be a member of OA all you need is the desire to stop over eating. My group follows the 12 steps of the Big Book of AA, and have tools of recovery (one of which is an eating plan).