Fibromyalgia Support Group

You're not alone in your pain. Fibromyalgia is a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and manage. If you're trying to cope with pain throughout your body, sleep problems, general fatigue, or other common fibromyalgia symptoms, you're in the right place. The community is here for you to talk about therapies and share your challenges.

2 Online
2 Online

tired and hurting arms

does anyone else's arms hurt when they lift them up for any amount of time? i will be trying to wash my hair or put my hair up in the morning and after a few seconds my arms start to hurt really badly. they also just kind of feel heavy. and its not just in the morning either. the same happens in the evening, though its not as bad. this has been going on for about a couple of weeks, but has gotten worse lately. i hate to admit it, but i have been going as long as possible b/w hair washings b/c it hurts so badly.

thanks.

Replies

CarrieinSK
CarrieinSK

Yep, I still have my strength but when I hole my arms up or out, then I start to shake really bad. I also drop things, just out of the blue.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is one of my symptons. I have shaking arms when I hold them out. I lost the use of my eft arm seven years ago and it took two years of physio to get it back but it is still very weak. I think that its a fibro thing. My rheumo says so too.
Love newfibroohio xx
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also put off washing my hair b/c of the pain in my arms. And I do also drop things constantly. As always you should let your doc know, but sounds to me like a common fibro effect
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes i have this problem everyday.. i was sitting in my recliner 10 mins ago thinking wow my arms are killin me tonight.... i just try not to lift em to much and keep em warm...**hugs**
deleted_user
deleted_user

oh, and i forgot to mention it, but holding my arms up also makes the small of my back tense up. i'm going to ask my chiro about it. maybe he can give me some more stretches or something.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yup hanging out the washing hurts.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I actually have just the oposite pain - my arms hurt, radiating from my should down, and the only way to get relief is to lift them over my head. I usually sit in the recliner with both of my arms over my head.
deleted_user
deleted_user

YES, I have the same problem... washing or fixing my hair, or folding towels or laundry are all just terrible. I finally got a cute shorter cut that I just have to blow dry, and do most of that with my head upside down for body, so that was a great help. I had a terrible time switching from my old curly, poofy hair. I liked it curled everyday and it just got too much. I had a hair professional tell me I could wear short straight hair as long as I got a good cut. I didnt want to look bland or unfemenime (sp?)... now I have had terrible burning pain in my right elbow, and sometimes in my left... I am guessing arthritis???
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yep..me too. My arms feel like they have lead in them..I wear mt hair long and washing it is a PAIN...I have to lie down and rest after a shower it is so exhausting. Folding laundry brings tears , as does doing the dishes..so I break it up into small "shifts"I fold the laundry on the bed so I DON'T have to hold it.I have done the PT thing and did not get any positive results.Just one of those things I have to deal with.
Oh yeah...my arms will frequently "go to sleep" when driving long distances from having them in one position to long.It also affects my quilting , cannot sew for more than 30 mins at a time.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My arms ache all the time, doesnt matter where I put them.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Somedays just putting a shirt over my head is hard. Washing my hair is hard too and the worst is coloring my hair. I have gray hair now and have to do the roots first. Coloring the back of my hair is the pits. I have to part it and clip it. Yikes... My shoulders feel like they have red hot pokers in them!
deleted_user
deleted_user

What has realy helped me and I am not an exercise person is the stretching exercises. It has mad the world of difference for me. Time to start you guys! I did not believe it would work! But i was wrong it helps.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes...with pain radiating form my shoulder to my elbows when i attempt to lift them...I also have a hrd time to stand and do dishes...extending my arms forward ...the muscles in my arms and right Under my shoulder blades actually start shakeing...burning...My PT says I have good muscle mass in my arms...well..what the hell is makeing them SO WEAK then ??
you also cannot touch my upper arms...a single slight touch FEELS like a knuckle Punch !!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello to you all,
This is my first time on a forum & i have been diagnosed with FM for about 13-15yrs but think i've had it much longer than that.

I have many of the problems that you guys have mentioned and can empathise with you all.

My muscles can go into spasms and shake all over (which my daughter found out can be a progression of the disease as she has a friend whose mum has it). My Niece also has FM.

I cannot do my housework any more, i struggle to cook my meals & am getting to the stage where i am going to need help to shower.

I do find washing my hair extremely tiring and also often leave it for as long as possible, another major problem i have is doing my bra up as i cannot reach or twist it round as my muscles are just too painful.

I get the burning pains mentioned, but i get them in my legs.

I avoid dressing as much as possible & just stay in my night clothes, i wondered if anyone else does this?

Hugs to you all & it's nice to meet you all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Same goes here. I have to put my arms down to rest. Does it help at all if you try to bend over half way so your arms are up as high? Get one of those pull down shower heads and bend your head a little so when you rinse your arms aren't up as high then either. Hang in there sweetheart- it's frustrating but we'll all get through.