Fibromyalgia Support Group

You're not alone in your pain. Fibromyalgia is a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and manage. If you're trying to cope with pain throughout your body, sleep problems, general fatigue, or other common fibromyalgia symptoms, you're in the right place. The community is here for you to talk about therapies and share your challenges.

1 Online
1 Online

Tender spots on scalp and face?

I have multiple places on my head that are very very tender. I also have areas on my face particularly around my eyes and sinuses that always hurt when touched. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I get migraines regularly and perhaps the sore spots are caused by frequent headaches?? or vice versa? Any ideas? I've been trying to massage these areas daily to see if they would get better...so far no change!

Replies

Wonderbaby
Wonderbaby

My scalp hurts often. This is one of the aspects of fibro I never really understood. Not yet at least.

I refuse to cut my hair quiet yet. And so my hair is up and down all day long. The longer it's up (pony...clip...you name it) it's hurting with in hours and I have to let it down again.

I was also sick recently where I was in bed all day long. My head hurt so much just from it laying on the pillow.
AutumnQueen
AutumnQueen

My head does this every once in a while. It gets so sensitive, it's hard for me to shampoo my hair. I don't have long hair, but if I did, the weight of it would probably bother me.
Blessings and hugs
Cathy
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yep, I have it too!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes I have it too. I asked my massage therapist and she said there are lots of muscles that run into the head and tenderness is related to this (can't remember her techie explanation just was glad to hear it was part of fibro) Also I get severe pain at the base of my head, right side, where it meets the neck. She told me to buy those erasers that slip on the end of a pencil and come to a slight pt and stick the end of the eraser under and around the base of the bone and gently massage it. Works like a charm! And cheapt too!
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes i get this too. i get a few real sore spots, that hurt like heck. they feel like a burning pain. i try to massage them, and i put ice packs on my head a lot.

i didn't know it was a part of fibro. i thought it was a weird symptom of my daily chronic headaches. i get migraines a few times a week as well. and also, really awful pain at the base of my neck, right where it connects to the head, in that little hollow spot. i have whiplash disorder from a car accident, and spinal stenosis in my neck...i have had disc removal surgery for that, so i always assumed that bad scalp pain was from the neck problems.

i think i will try massaging the area with that little eraser that was recommended by one of the people who replied.

take care, Lee :)
RosePark
RosePark

I was just washing hair tonight and I have sore spots all over. I am going to have acupuncture soon and have her concentrate on those areas. Acupuncture really helped my headaches and neck pain.

I was hit by a drunk driver on my bike 20 years ago, and ever since when I get stressed I feel a tingling in my head and hands. (I don't know why I brought this topic up.)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yall can add me in on this one.. short or long my scalp has always had a sore spot ... and when in a flair.. it is hard to shampoo hair..or even brush or comb at times...I remember that once .. when I first started getting this mess....I couldnt lay my head on a pillow for months.. now its just every great once in a while.. but i do remember having to sleep in a recliner for a while because of it....hugs..rosehurts
mynameisD
mynameisD

Oh yes, in fact I have it now. My scalp hurts and the left side of my face hurts, is minutely swollen, and itchy as hell. It drives me crazy when this happens because I never know what starts it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i also have this pain from fibro and have noticed that i have to wash my hair every day or use a dry shampoo to keep the pain down. also i've noticed that it seems i am 'allergic' to my own oils on my scalp and face. it sounds crazy i know, but i swear my face only hurts when it starts getting oily.
susanbanthony
susanbanthony

I also get them from time to time, as they seem to correlate with stress for me.
Sue
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get that too when I am suffering from a trigeminal nerve attack it is painful
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sorry to see I am not alone in my suffering:( My biofeedback therapist says they are acupressure points that correspond with headaches. I've had a migraine for the last three days. Now I have a sore throat and have called into work once again. They just slapped my hand for this the other day. Like I can control my body. HA! Going to gp to ask for migraine medication.