Fibromyalgia Support Group

You're not alone in your pain. Fibromyalgia is a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and manage. If you're trying to cope with pain throughout your body, sleep problems, general fatigue, or other common fibromyalgia symptoms, you're in the right place. The community is here for you to talk about therapies and share your challenges.

1 Online
1 Online

My Shoulders hurt so bad.. help!

My shoulders have been really hurting so bad.. that I can not even lay on them to go to sleep.. does anyone else have this? It gets to the point that I just don't know what to do.. they never hurt this bad or this long before... even my pain meds don't hurt.. its crazy.. I just want realif!

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

My left shoulder (seatbelt injury) provides me with my most exhaustive pain. When it starts getting bad, I usually try squeezing the muscle to release toxins, then stretching. That often works. If it gets to the point of spasm, I resort to Soma, a muscle relaxer.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't have any suggestions.

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.

Sending Hugs and Prayers that you feel better.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get the same thing alot. Nothing helps me either. I try heat and a light massage and the pain pills don't help me either. If you find something that works, please share it with me! Hope it goes away soon!

Hugs
Tory
deleted_user
deleted_user

My shoulders are my trigger points also. I have my pain doc give me an injection if it gets too bad. I sleep on a recliner too. That seems to help especially with pillows under your elbows. I take flexeril for spasms, but it only helps for a little while. I hurt for you hon, hope you feel better soon!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I use a rice sock on the shoulders and neck areas. It seems to help a lot.
deleted_user
deleted_user

heat seems to do the trick, e-blanket, and heating pad. also icy hot works too. I know some times the pain is so intense I feel as if I am lossing my mind.
Wonderbaby
Wonderbaby

Hun...if you think that it's tight muscles.....try this PT move I learned to help with it.

Get a pillow or towel (large one rolled up).

Place it vertical to your spine on the floor and lay on it. So you are right on top of the pillow/towel.

Now just gently....allow your shoulders to relax backwards to the floor.

Now, take in some deep breaths. Imagine each lung is divided into two. Start with the upper quadrants of your lungs. Slow and deep breaths.
Then fill the lower quadrants...slow and deep.

This should be relaxing....no stretching. The deep breaths will do the stretching for you.

Repeat this 3-5 times for each quadrant.

This will teach your shoulders to be in the right position. We tend to curl up when we are in pain and thus shortening our muscles.

Good luck hun.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get this and then it travels to my neck and head as well. the only thing that helps a little is a warming rub something like tigerbalm or deep heat.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sitting at the PC too long, sitting in the wrong position, not holding your shoulders back.

Here is an exercise for your shoulders, like giving yourself a massage,

Lift shoulders up, push them back and drip them

Work on your posture and while sitting at the pc also,. Limit your time infront of the PC
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have tried a lot of things.. thanks wonderbaby i should try that... i have tried warming message too and it helped for a while but not musch.. they still hurt.. its hard to explain the pain.. not sure if i pulled a muscle in my shoulders or whatever.. thinking about calling a chiropractor about it..
Tears4now
Tears4now

I had that exact same problem, plus others.

I see ddntn posted the exact exercise my therapist has me doing for pain relief.

It works really well and I do it a few times a day.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Both of my shoulders get that way. It gets so bad, my arms go to sleep on me and I wake up in screaming pain....I'm a side sleeper too. That is usually the signal to head to the acupuncturist.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I would never see that acupuncerist ... needles make me nervous no matter what! haha.. but i am glad that it is helping you - shoulders are still killing me.. almost for a week now!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey lov - I have the same thing, is it a pain right on the shoulder blade? I have had it for a couple days now, even went to the doc yesterday cuz the triage nurse thought I might be having a heart attack..ahhh, then it just got worse from the stress. The pain is unbearable, and all I can do is try to get comfortable and put some heat on it...if you come up with anything let me know...
deleted_user
deleted_user

no its actually on the shoulders... on top... i have tried heat... only helped for a minute or so. I am trying to relax but its hard with so much pain. i have been in a flare up for a week now.. almost about to go to the dr's.. but you know what they will say!